Largest CID from a 350 block? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 04, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave M

I have two small block blocks and I'm contemplating building some type of stroker motor for my 69. I know all about 383's and realize that is a great way to go but what is the biggest cubic inch I could safely get from a 3932388 (standard bore) or a 3970010 (already .040 over) block. The 010 block is the high nickel block.

I plan on buying a new rotating assembly and starting from scratch and this motor will be street driven almost daily.

Dave Miller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 04, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

I believe the largest you can go is 391/395ci. This will require an offset ground crank. They are not very popular engines and the durabilty becomes an issue. I hear they work well for very mild builds but, not for performance applications. You would be much better off with a 383, 385, 388 (all the same except bore size) 3.75 stroke. I think that's about the limit of factory 350 blocks.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 04, 10:40 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

A 4.060" bore and 4.00" stroke would get you 414". I would never do it though as you would need to do a lot of special stuff to get it to work - .800" small base circle cam, 2.00" or even 1.88" Honda style rod journals, short fill the block, serious grinding on the oil pan rails, etc.

Even after getting an engine like this together there would be some inherent reliability problems. Very short piston skirts would be prone to rocking in the bores and premature wear, poor rod to stroke ratio, and more . . .

It would be a ton cheaper to just buy an aftermarket 400 block, build a 400, and be done with it. Unless you were racing in some odd ball class that required a 4.00" bore I can't see any reason to ever do it.

IMO 383 or 388 would be right about the max I would ever do with a 350 block. Although you might be able to make a 3-7/8" stroker work (that would make an SBC 396) . . . 3-7/8" stroker is fairly common these days to do with a 400 block to make a 420" motor so the parts would for the most part be available (pistons might be hard).

Eric

PS. ever get that roller cam in?

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 04, 07:37 AM
Tech Team

Reliably the biggest stroke I would think is the 3.75" 383 (385, whatever)

GM has a 3.8" stroke crank used in their 383 (@ stock bore) crate motor. Not sure how easy that would be to get ahold of.

Past that I would want an aftermarket block....

2003 Yellow S-10 4.3L - Stock "The Bus"<br /><br />'75 Type LT<br />Slowly but Surely<br />Learning as I go...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 04, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech

if you have a late model one piece seal block, there are a few places that sell blanaced 396 kits or even short blocks. actually, i think they might use an old style 2 piece seal crank with the adapter for the one piece seal blocks, so it could be used in an old block.
but really- why go thru the hassle of stroking a 350 when you could rebuild a stock 400 that is already bigger and looks identical?

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode