Big Block numbers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 04, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jimmy

Question

Ok, before somebody asks, yes I did try to do a search and found HOW to decode an engine block, but not really where these numbers are. The numbers I located dont seem to match the ones found and listed in other posts.
The bottom line is I need to research the block, mainly the year, in order to know what plugs I need for it. Right? I know the gap can be figured later. It is a 454 and Ill try to describe the numbers I found and where they are.

On the top of the block at the middle and just back of where the timing chain is stamped T0117TRU (Im assuming the 11 are 1's and not I's). Looking at the front of block as a ref to right and left there is a large casted GM T12 at the rear of the block at the top where the bellhousing meets. Just below that is 361959 casted further to the right.
Now somebody mentioned the head numbers so Ill include them also. F1171 is casted on the top left. GM 10T is next, the letters PASS in the middle and 3993820 on the right.
So, am I looking at the right numbers or are the correct ones somewhers else on the blcok. Oh, this is a swap so the vin wont be a help right?
Thanks again!
Jimmy

67 Camaro - 454 - Muncie 4 speed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 04, 12:10 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

From http://www.mortec.com

361959.....454.......73-90...2 or 4 bolt
3993820....71-84...oval...OPEN...454 Passenger and Trucks, 113cc chamber, 255/114 ports

So the range of the engine is 73-84.

Upon further investigation,

From http://www.nastyz28.com
Year: 1974
Suffix Code: TRU
Application: Truck
Size: 454
HP: 245
Trans: Turbo 400
Comment/RPO: LS-4 VIN Z, L, 10, 20

So you have a 1974 454 if I am not mistaken.

However, what baffles me is that you needed to know the year of the block to find out which spark plugs are needed for your application.

Did some counter guy put you up to this?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 04, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jimmy

no, but I figured they would ask since they cant look it up by model and year of veh to see what their screen tells them I need. I thought that if I at least had the year, it would be a start. Do you have recommendations what to ask for, to avoid the whole parts counter shuffle?

67 Camaro - 454 - Muncie 4 speed...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 04, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally posted by jmys67:
no, but I figured they would ask since they cant look it up by model and year of veh to see what their screen tells them I need. I thought that if I at least had the year, it would be a start. Do you have recommendations what to ask for, to avoid the whole parts counter shuffle?
http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_ap...1&AAIA=1031926

Here is a baseline. I guessed on the application, the counter guys probably could have done the same based on the engine size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode