rebuilding Holley 4053 carb - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

I'm rebuilding my Holley 4053 carb. The finish on the carb and base plate is ruined. Any input on how to get back the original looking finish? They don't really sell good stuff any more due to all the EPA regulations. Any other 4053/4150 rebuilders out there - any tips that may help me save time and avoid blunders? Any and all feedback is always welcome. Thanks, SooperDave

68 Z/28, grotto blue, protect-o-plate
67 plain jane survivor, deep water blue, protect-o-plate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 09:54 AM
Senior Tech
Lance

I've heard that Year One offers an excellent rebuild and restoration service directly through Holley themselves. You may want to give them a call.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 04, 12:30 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I had my carb rebuilt, all small parts replated, and the carb redyed, all for $150. The guy sent it out somewhere for redye. BTW, the base plate does not get redyed, just the body and bowls.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 04, 02:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

I had to replace my baseplate because my 4053 had a replacement baseplate. Does anyone restore just the baseplate? I don't want to ship the whole carb for fear of breakage or loss!

[ 09-29-2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Gary L ]

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 04, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

How about Eastwood's carb renew? Is this the correct color and finish for a Holley? It's a bronze type finish where I thought the natural finish was a greenish color??

The baseplate is aluminum so I'll just clean that up and leave the natural finish.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 04, 10:39 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
From what I've seen the eastwood looks sprayed on... I make 2 recomdations in one of the tech reference articles I did a while back... www.camaros.net/techref/articles/ftecref004.html

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 04, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech

Check the flatness of the main body where the metering blocks mount. Holleys are famous for warping. They should be within 0.005" or so. If not, a machinist should be able to mill them flat again for $35 or so.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 04, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

From the trick kit which fuel inlet valve is the correct one for the 4053 carb? Anyone know? I'm not sure if the one in my carb was correct so it would be a good time to make sure. I did a search and can't find the info.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 04, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Well my 4053 carb is rebuilt and she's back on the car. Runs good definitely better throttle response now with the 31 squirter. Used 72/76 jets. Idle mixture is set and vacuum is right on 8 in/hg as expected. Went with two 3.5 pv's but the idle mixture still seems to be so rich (based on a smell test). Any additional advice out there on how to lean up the idle mixture?? There's no way the pv's are open at idle so I'm at a stand still now.

holley 4053

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 04, 02:40 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Try setting the idle mixture using a vacuum gauge. Set the mixture for the highest vacuum reading, then lean the mix out until the vac just starts to drop off.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode