LT1 in a '69 Camaro? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 04, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to FromTheGroundUp
In my local town, my dad and I have found a 96 buick roadmaster for $1,000. Now, as long as we're not mistaken, we could rip that motor out, along with the computer and wiring, and slap that motor right between the fender wells of my '69. we have a T-56 out of a 97 T/A with 60,000 miles on it that we might send out to keisler automotive to get rebuilt and relocated so the shifter fits in the stock location. does anyone have any horror stories about a LT1, or any reason why this wouldn't be a kick-*** combination for 20-30 MPG and low 14 1/4 miles? i mean, are we crazy to not buy it yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 04, 12:22 AM
Senior Tech

i am in the process of researching just such a swap into my Nova- only i'm using an LT1 out of a 94 9C1 Caprice i've been driving for the last few years. i got the engine out- along with the wiring- a couple of weekends ago. then i spent all last weekend sorting out all the un needed wires- the whole car harness is integrated, headlights and all. if i had the $$$, i'd just get a Painless harness and be done with it, but i am both poor and frugal.. you might have a few extra issues to deal with using a 96 engine that i won't have with a 94- the dreaded OBDII. but i guess you can use a 94 ECM and get rid of all that stuff.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 09:46 PM
Senior Tech

just for future ref dont use the painless, its junk imo fuel injection specialtys is the only way to go. great customer service and a quality product,

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech

what's so bad about the Painless efi harnesses?
they use OEM wire and connectors, and the only real gripes i've heard about have involed their universal car harnesses- and that is just usually people not thinking about how electricity flows..

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech

we did three lt1 swaps last winter myself and two friends the first was a painless, nice looking harness went together fairly well. the second was the one from fuel injection specialty it was by far a better fitting harness they built it to fit the application and burned the computer all in house. it was a perfect fit. the customer service for the tech with painless was not a good expeirance. i did the one from (fis) and the same great service. they were great to work with service in my opinion goes farther than anything.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 03:15 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

EDIT: DISREGARD

I was going to tell you to be sure that the motor is a 5.7 and not a 4.3, but that is only an issue with Caprices.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 04, 03:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I didn't have any problems with the painless harness on my LT1 install. The fuel system is probably the hardest part of the install. Other than that it installs (mounting wise) like a conventional SBC. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to help you out.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 04, 10:35 AM
Senior Tech

so the Painless harness is "junk" just because they don't custom make it to fit your car, and don't offer computer programming in-house, even tho it is a nice narness and goes together nice?
am i the only one confused by that product review?
you could have said simply that the FIS stuff was easier to work with than the Painless harness, and that you got better service.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 04, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech

i should not not call their product junk that is unfair because it was not junk, i just preferred the fis harness over the painless when comparing the two. it looked like abetter built harness and it seemed to go together better. plus the customer service was alot better which is part of the reason i like them so well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode