Harmonic Balancer and a few ?'s - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 03, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Cambie
Question

OK, so I need a harmonic balancer now for my engine build. I have 2 options...which size outer diameter should i get the 6.75" or 8"?

Also, I am going with an electric water pump...So how do I go about buying the right pulley for the crank and getting the right sized belts for a car with only the crank, alternator, and power steering pulleys present. I'm going to have this engine in a 67-69 camaro. HELP!

Another question...Anyone here have any suggestions on where to buy fuel lines from? Any recommendations?

One more ?... Anyone know if I'm going to need a 45 degree angles thermo housing or a 90 degree?

Thanks for any help!

-Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 03, 03:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

What engine are you working on? You may have to get a new timing pointer if yer engine is pre-1969 and possible mod the power steering bracket if you go for an 8".

Read this whole thread:
https://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimat...=009962#000000

check this: Fluid Streetdampr by Vibratech in NY. They have an awesome website with tons of information. I'm gonna go with the 6.875" Streetdampr and the 7" Tavia pointer for my 68 327.
I havn't bought my set up yet, i need more $$$$ [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img]
As far as the differences between the 6.75" and the 8", i bet there are not many to be concerned about when building a street motor.

1968 Coupe, 327ci basketcase project
1986 Chevy Stepside, 305ci/300hp
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 03, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Cambie
Talking

Its a 350 bored 30 over. HP expectancy is in the 460 range w/ around the same torque. I'm planning on buying a 69 camaro ideally once I'm dont with most of the engine. I just need some info on what sizes fits in the bay w/ frame rails and such. Any help is appreciated!

-Tony

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 03, 08:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

As far as balancers - go with 'Jim68's info, the size really won't matter much. The TAVIA pointers are very easy to use and adjust for different balancers.
For pulleys you just need to decide which pump length type (short or long) you want to run and match up the components. The 69 Camaro used the long type for SBC - so it would be a starting point for you. The belt size(s) can be determinded by taking a piece of light rope and routing it around the pulleys - mark the rope where it comes back around to itself. Lay this piece out and measure with a tape (inches) - that's the length belt you need. If in doubt buy the next smaller and larger sizes too - take back the ones you don't use. Any good parts store should have a belt cross-reference chart for length (look for the older guy behind the counter - he should know how to do this!).

Early SBC like in the Camaro use a 90 deg. Water Neck. They are available in Alum., Steel or Chrome plated and will fit most small blocks from 1967 to 1970's (later models have threaded holes for sensors, etc...) again - any good parts house should have several to choose from.

Good luck with your project.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode