Wrong Power Valve? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Question

My 355 has an Isky 270 cam (221/221 108LDA), Vortec heads, 9.8 compression, and a Road Demon carb. It pulls 11-12"Hg of vacuum on my 5" gauge, and about 12.5-13"Hg on my 1" gauge (not sure which would be more accurate). Currently, I've got a 6.5" PV in the Demon.

My problem is at WOT from a stop. The engine revs up to the converter stall (2200RPM), then stutters like the A/F just isn't correct. I don't see any black smoke, and there's no backfiring through the carb. At about 2600RPM, the engine takes off and pulls up to 6200 as it should. Also, the motor can't even break the 235/60 tires loose, it just stutters until about 2600. At about 25MPH, I *think* I feel the engine stuttering lightly, but I could be wrong.

I think I've got the accelerator pump worked out (green cam, #31 squirter), 4-corner mixture screws at about 3/4" turn out, and I'm using the plain vacuum secondary spring. I use this spring because it gives the best performance when the engine is at WOT in high gear. Ignition timing is at 22* at idle (using vacuum advance), and the plugs show a rich condition (although engine as been idling alot lately). I'm using the stock jets, which I believe are 70 in front, 78 in back.

Phew, I think that's it. [img]graemlins/boring.gif[/img]

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 04:13 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
http://www.mortec.com/carbtip1.htm

try this for more info.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech

You have used up your acc. pump circuit before you need it. When the convertor locks that is when you need the extra fuel. Try bringing in the acc. pump a little later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode