Turbo 400 not enough rpms - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I'm new to this veerry impressive site. I am in the process of building a 355cid (350+30) 420 hp(edelbrock rpm performer clone) to exchange and shelf the 327 in my 68. My situation is i'm running a turbo 400 stock converter for now (until is replaced with about a 2600 to 2800) that is shifting at about 5000 (pressure shifts at about 5500 but I don't like doing that). my question is how can I tweek this baby to shift at 6000 to 6500? I don't know if it has the long or short modulator. Is there much difference in them? For interest sake the rear end is still 2.73 until such time as I can get and install 3.73 to 4.10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech

You need a governor spring and weight kit. the only problem is I don't know where you can get one. Try calling TCI. etc it is easy to do but it is trial and error

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
John

Have you already bought the RPM cam? Lots of people here have said that it is very weak on torque in the street driving range.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Talking

Thanks for the info guys! No I havn't ordered the cam yet. I have been considerering one from Comp Cams with a broader torque range but dosn't quite have the horses so still trying to decide. All I've done so far is had the 350 poked out and now is being finished honed (with torque plated and mains in) to the pistons. The RPM heads and Air Gap intake are on order. I still havn't gotten my crank and rods yet either so not yet balanced. Lots of work yet and $$$ tend to slow me down, but I want to do it up good so what the heck if it takes a little longer. Has anyone tapered their main bearings to load against thrust from a higher stall converter? I don't plan on going too wild on stall speed so not sure if really necessary. Also a little worried I might screw up the oil pressure altering the bearings. Any thoughts are more than welcome.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 11:34 PM

is this a street car cause i know my car with 4:10s on a 3 speed it would run 3000 rpms at 55 mph so on the interstate i go 55 mph if i go any faster it sounds like it wants to blow or something but of course my motor wont rev very many rpms so u might be better off humm could it be short rods in a 400 sb yup probably good luck
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 04:42 AM

Get a modulater for a 78 1 ton truck then you can ajust your shift points look inside the mod you will see a small screw trun it about 7 times It,s there to make oid trannys shift harder .if you do this and don,t like it take it out and turn it some more until you get it the way you want it
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 04:44 AM

This will only cost about 10 bucks
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 05:00 AM
Senior Tech

Now the tip you just got boys is why we need more old hot rodders around here!!!!

Nice tip MELROD!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 07:06 AM
Senior Tech

I don't think an adjustable modulator is going to get you enough difference to help. I have never been able to get much of a change in shift point only harshness. They are cheap give it a try. Vega's also used one if you can't find the truck one

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 11:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I've been looking around at the electric solenoid type mechanism that work with your shifter. You can dial in the exact rpm you want and then activate it when you want. A little pricey though (check out the Jegs they have some info). As far as the adjustable modulator, I know one will change the shift points on a C6 f**d trans so I would agree you should give it a try.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 02:26 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

For what it's worth - I'm going through the same thing with my 68, TH350/383cid combo. The adjustable modulator got me up to 5000 RPM for the 1st to 2nd shift and 5500 RPM from 2nd to 3rd. It's maxed out now and I'm looking for that weight and spring kit Oger mentioned. I'll post the source if I find one.

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 03-15-2001).]
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Wink

Thanks for all the input, fellow enthusists!
Your knowledge and input is invaluable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode