Quadrajet Secondaries ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 03, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

How do the secondaries on a qjet open. At WOT they are suppose to open by load. Right? What part of the carburator actually opens it? I ask this because my carb does not seem to have a vacuum canister to open the secondaries. It only has a canister to open the primaries.

SoFast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 03, 04:55 PM

Smile

They suck open under load and rpm's!!

And there is a real little allen wrench setscrew under or in back of the pass. side end of the secondary air valves shaft that can be loosened and then using a small straight screwdriver in the pass. side end of the shaft, you can adjust it's opening and closing set.

BUT be forewarned that you may kick off the little bitty tension spring and have to start from zero if you lose the original setting...

I always played with mine like at about an 1/8th to a 1/4 turn with the screwdriver either way to get the sucker set where I liked it...

Anybody else got anything more to offer here??? pdq67

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 03, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech
Al

It's been a long time since I looked at or worked on a Q-jet, so I'm going from memory here. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me...please do!

As I recall, the secondary throttle blades on a Q-jet are opened mechanically, and they can only be opened when the choke is fully opened. There is a metal plate that covers the secondary venturis, and these are somehow vacuum operated(I'm sure it's way more complicated than that), and open progressively as the engine requires more fuel/air. This plate is connected to the secondary metering rods..as the plate opens, the rods are pulled upward and more fuel is added.

Like most carburetors, it operates on the same basic principle as your toilet, with a few extras thrown in.

I think the vac cannister you see on the primary side is a choke pull-off...it keeps the choke valve from completely shutting off air to the primary side. Also called a vacuum brake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 03, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I think I am just confused and wanted to know if the vacuum valve canisters have any thing to do with opening up the secondaries.

SoFast
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 03, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally posted by SoFast:
I think I am just confused and wanted to know if the vacuum valve canisters have any thing to do with opening up the secondaries.
I believe you are talking about the choke pull-off(s)

Edit: BPOS I just saw your post

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 03, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech

pdq and bpos are both right. The seconary butterflies are opened mechanically. The secondary top plates are opened by vacuum since the shaft if off-center of the "air valve". The air valve also lifts the secondary metering rods.

Any "vacuum valve canistors" you're seeing are probably choke pull-off and choke pull-off dashpot. The dashpot is a confusing device when you look how it is connected. Basically, it helps hold the choke open between cranks to prevent choke flooding. There is no vacuum actuator like on holley's. Just the offset air valves above the secondary venturies.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 03, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech

The choke pull-off also doubles as a device to hold the secondary air valve shut while the engine vacuum is high. You can adjust the rate of release of this dashpot to help control the opening of the air valve.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 03, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Confusion cleared.

Thanks

SoFast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode