head bolt sealant - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

im finishing up on my 454 rebuild and was wondering if i have to seal the threads on every head bolt and if the sealant will effect torque readings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Angry

You will need to seal each head bolt. It will have very little effect on the torque. I use a can of Permatex High Tac (Autozone). I just dip the bolt threads into the can, catching about the first five threads and install. NEVER had one leak or give me a problem. Be sure the threads are clean and free of all old goop.

Daddy's Hot Rod.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Me too! High Tack on the clean threads before you start to assemble. You can do it a day in advance without any problems. It is unaffected by gasoline so it is also great for around intake ports. Great stuff. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

-Mark.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 06:52 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Lightbulb

I like a product from permatx called Aviation Form-A-Gasket. It comes in a white bottle with blue print and says Aviation on it. The cap has a brush attached to it so you can brush it on the bolt threads. It will not affect your torque readings. I also like to use it around the intake ports applying some on the head and manifold sides, then use Permatex Ultra Black around the water ports, once again on the head side and the manifold side. Aviation never dries completely, so it keeps a very good seal and will not bond your bolt to the block, thus making for very hard head bolt removal in the future. A product that does dry hard that comes to mind is called indian......somthing, not sure what the full name is but it has a picture of an indian on the bottle and it's usally a brown bottle

You must clean the head bolts treads before installing them, using a bench grinder with a wire wheel works good for this, just be sure to wear your safety glasses and be aware of the bolt getting caught and kicking back. Take your time and check for threads that have been eaten up by water from before and are damaged. replace as nessary. It's also a good idea to run a tap down the head bolt hole threads, but be carefull and take your time doing this also, a little lube will help (wd40).

If you use any of the above methods to seal your intake use just a thin amount on the head and intake side of the permatex and aviation. The goal is to use the products to assist sealing the head and intake to the gasket. Using anymore than what will sqeeze out when you tighten down the bolts is too much and never use silicone around your intake ports.

Good Luck [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Joe [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Sorry for th long post [img]graemlins/boring.gif[/img]

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 03, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thank you all so much for your input. now i just have one more question. arp says to lubricated the bolts before install. do i apply lube then sealent or what?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 03, 03:48 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Use one or the other, never both as a rule of thumb.

-Mark.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 03, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech
robert

u guys do know that you cant use head bolts twice, do u?

Z28 1984
'77 355ci/COMP cam 218/224 .464/.470 114 LSA
rollerrockers1.5/9.72 forged pistons
ported '66 461 heads 1.94,1.5/Flowtech shorty headers
edelbrock 600/performer rpm intake
th350/shiftkit/hughes2500stall
4th gen 3.23 10 bolt POSI.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 03, 04:48 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Everybody has their favorite thread sealer...lol, mine is the Permatex Thread Sealer with Teflon...and Moly Lube on the head of the bolts where it touces the head to get an accurate torque reading. Also, use the three step torque technique...30#, 45#, then final torque value. Be advised that ARP head bolts MAY use a different torque value than the Chevy manual calls for due to ARP using better quality steel that does not stretach as much as GM head bolts. I called ARP and told them what thread sealer I was using, and they said that matches their ARP thread sealer, and told me the torque value on my 350 was actually 3 pounds less than the 65# the head maker called for. You may want to give ARP a call once you decide what thread sealer you are going to use and see what they think. Just my two cents...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 03, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Lightbulb

Robert:

You can use head bolts more than one time, with out problems bolt stretch and other dynamics come into play depending on the design of the bolt and it's intended use. Alot of late modle cars are using TTY head bolts or Torque To Yield. This means some are desinged to be torque to very low value then you use an angle/Degree gauge to torque the rest of the way. For instance a head might have an intial torque of 20 foot pounds then you pull each bolt down another 90 deg from that point torqe point. This method streches the head bolt, they are designed this way and these type of bolts should never be reused.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 01:25 AM
Senior Tech

If you can't find Aviation Permatex, they have one called Permatex Super 300 that seems to be the same thing or very close.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Jimfulco:

Any Camaro clubs in Shreveport? I live in Camden AR about an 1 1/2 from there, same drive to Little Rock. There is a Camaro club in Little Rock and have meet some great people but it's not very active anything down your way?

Joe

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 03, 07:04 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Angry

Sealer on the threads, start them threading, squirt a little oil under the head of the bolt, torque, then drive. High Tac also comes in a spray can for those large jobs like shim head gaskets.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 03, 01:46 PM
Tech Team

What about using red Permatex or Loctite Thread Locker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode