3917291 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

hey yaw..back again...anybody have a set of 3917291 2.02 valve camel hump heads? i do and they are probably going on my 383 that i am building, with performer rpm and headers. i have heard they make decent power, and seen they were listed as one of castings available on the 68-69 302 (the article said because of large port volumes). if anybody has these heads or any info on them, please share i was just wondering how well they run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 05:56 AM
Guess

I'm very interested also. I have the same heads only with the smaller valves that I want to run on a .030 over 350 with the same intake and headers. The only reason I want to use these really is because they're 64cc chambers.

------------------
Joe
[email protected]
'97 Blazer
'69 former basket-case
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 01:04 PM
Tech Team

i have a set of 3782461 camel humps that i had cut for 2.02/ 1.60 valves, screw in studs, guidplates, big springs. cant wait to get them onto my 350.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 10:49 PM
Senior Tech

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ss283:
hey yaw..back again...anybody have a set of 3917291 2.02 valve camel hump heads? i do and they are probably going on my 383 that i am building, with performer rpm and headers. i have heard they make decent power, and seen they were listed as one of castings available on the 68-69 302 (the article said because of large port volumes). if anybody has these heads or any info on them, please share i was just wondering how well they run.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
These are good heads and is the good chamber shape..BUT these heads don't flow well and will hurt the HP...the only thing these heads have good id the chambers.. With poting and some polioshing these heads can be made to flow repectably...
A stock 291 casting will low about 178cfm ..
in comparison a smog large chamber 76cc head flows about 186cfm... When the 291 is modified with 3 angle seats and opening up the small side radii while blending, cleaning the bowls and polishing ...you can get the intake to flow about 210cfm...and the exhaust up to 172cfm..all this is @ .5" lift...
You can polish the chambers to help dissipate the heat quicker , thus helping reduce detonation...especually if your running 10:1 on pump gas with iron heads..
All this can buy you significant HP ...
CHEERS
Chris

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 01, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks for the reply. with 175-215cfm of air flow, it should make good torque with the right cam? right?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 01, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech

While it is true that the average 76cc head flows more air than a similarly valve sized 64cc head, there is more to it than that. I have seen several dyno tests that show (with all else being equal except for different pistons to keep the compression the same) that the 64cc closed chamber style heads will make on average 30-40 more pounds of torque under 3000-3500 rpms with similar curves from there up to about 6000 rpms...supposedly the open chamber design has such poor burn characteristics and next to no swirl or quench (not deck height quench but real mixture motion quench) that they are totally inferior for a real street car, and even most race cars that would use this type of head.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 02:01 AM

I have to really disagree on the opinion that the late open chamber heads are better performance heads! The real early 2.02 291s 186s 492s had a chamber relief cut into them and can be made to fow in the 200-220 cfm area. The BIG ADVANTAGE of these heads is a far superior combustion chamber shape that will generate more horsepower if your machinist decks the block so that you get the proper quench between the top of the piston and the cylinder head ( 0.040 is a real good number to shoot for ). The early heads are worth about 20HP over the late ( 1971 up ) open chamber heads. You might try to find the book called "How to Build and Modify Chevrolet Small Block V-8 Cylinder Heads" by David Vizard. There is a lot of great info on all types of heads in this book from stock to aftermarket ( slighly dated now but still the best book ever written on the subject ). Spend $20 and do some reading and learn some valuable information. I am speeking from hours of expirence with a die grinder ( and several trips to the Optomologist for cast iron chip removal ).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

hey thanks for the reply(s). where can i get the sbc cylinder head manual you mentioned? you know i have a Haynes chevy manual, that said these heads and some others, had good power potential. i guess they will gain a few horses over the 14022601 heads that are on there. do you have any idea which heads would have came stock on a 73 camaro type lt with l48 175hp 350ci? thanks again
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 01, 11:45 PM
Senior Tech

I've got the same book Real is talking about...good stuff...I got my at a local Barnes and Nobles book store. I believe the base 350 camaro engine for 73 came with 882's. 601's are a 305 head with 52-53cc chambers...a lot of dirt track guys use them for the cheap hi-compression they give, but they need a real big cam to rev.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode