Carrier interchangability? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Hey all,

I think I already know the answer to this but I promised someone I would ask and make sure before we both go through a lot of hassle....

I advertised my 8.2" 2.73 geared rearend and someone called asking about the carrier. He has a '79 Camaro with an 8.5" rear but it's got something higher than 2.73's.... like 2.41? Something like that? Not sure. He's looking for a carrier that'll take 2.73 or lower gears. I guess he wants to go to at least 2.73. Follow me so far?
He got a '79 T/A 8.5" disc rear from the junkyard but it too has higher gears and won't accept anything lower than 2.41 (guessing at that number.)

He's wondering if the carrier from my 8.2 will go in his '79 Camaro 8.5" housing so he can change the gearing. I told him it won't but he wants to look at mine anyway. I told him he's gonna need a carrier that will accept 2.73 - 3.08 gears which mine will but like I said, it's 8.2".

He's out of luck buying mine isn't he?

Thanks!

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
1969 Wallet Crusher
- [email protected]

HwyStar's Garage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

You are right about the 8.2 differential not fitting the 8.5 rear end. The series break is also different on the 8.2 and 8.5 rear ends. The 8.2 uses a 2 series differential for the 2.73 gears where the 8.5 uses a 3 series differential for the 2.73 gears. He will be waisting his time looking at your differential. A new Eaton posi for his 8.5 is $348.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Thanks Freddie, I told him that, and he had some kind of documentation in front of him while we were talking that confirmed it, but he STILL wanted to look at it. I don't care if it'll work for him or not.... if he buys it!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Joe,
You tried to warn him and you even did a little research for him. If he is that hard headed sell it to him. Some people just don't get it. Why not just get one out of a 8.5 and know for sure it will fit? (I don't expect an answer to that). You got confirmation from a pro (Freddie), what more does the guy need?

Royce
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Guess

I dunno Royce.... he hasn't called me back yet. He THOUGHT the T/A rears carrier would work because it's an 8.5", but when he popped the cover the carrier wouldn't accept 2.73's. I told him I'd swap him the 8.2 for the T/A rear because it has discs but I guess he's keeping some of the parts off of it.
I was gonna mention the Eaton setup to him but he seems stuck on saving $$ and getting a junkyard unit.

[This message has been edited by HwyStarJoe (edited 11-14-2002).]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Send him here. He might find what he is looking for. http://www.nastyz28.com/cgi-bin/Ulti...assCookie=true

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Guess

'Round and 'round we go....
Just got off the horn with him again. He still wants to come look at my 8.2. I don't know why! I had to explain to him the difference between a differential and a housing. And that an 8.2 won't fit an 8.5 rear. I turned him on to NastyZ28 and he was clicking away at it when we hung up.

It boils down to him not wanting to spend the $400+ on an Eaton posi unit and install kit. He's returning the '79 T/A disc rear to the junkyard Sunday and wants to look at mine Saturday.
He offered me the T/A rear but I don't want the hassle and expense of having the welding done to it and the carrier change to make it fit my '69. It would be nice to have a disc rearend though!! Oh well... an upgrade for the future. I'll settle for the '73 Nova 8.5 rear I found instead! It'll bolt right in.

Thanks again....

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
1969 Wallet Crusher
- [email protected]

HwyStar's Garage!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 06:26 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

You can take the disc brakes off of it and put them on your rear end. I'm pretty sure they bolt on.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 02, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Guess

I sort of thought they would from past threads. We'll see this weekend. Depends what he wants for the whole rear and what shape the parts are in.
Thanks Freddie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode