Hairline block crack from freezing?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 03, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

I'm about to buy a '75 LT with the original 350 w/ 4 barrel carb ant auto tranny. Owner says it has a minor water leak (note I didn't say antifreeze, don't think there's any in it!) low on the block due to a freeze about 6 weeks ago. In those 6 weeks only a half-gallon or so has slowly dripped out. He says after it warms up for a minute the leak stops?

Are any of the "leak-ender"/"stop-leak" type products worth trying?? Should I just steer clear of the car altogether?

Engine runs great with new heads/cam/and rebuilt carb. No sign of smoke/vapor from the tailpipe.
Car is almost ready for paint, has the original rallys w/good rubber and needs an interior overhaul. But hey, asking price is only $750!! (Definitely in my price range!) I figure a straight body is worth that much!? I can handle the cosmetics, but a block swap??

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 03, 05:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
It could just be a freeze plug. That's relativley easy to fix. It could be where the waters coming from. Low on the block, behind the exhaust manifold?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 03, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

That's where he motioned, but I was still in work clothes and couldn't crawl under to look.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 03, 11:29 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

it could be a freeze plug, but it also could be a cracked block. some cracks are hard to see even after magnafluxing, so this is kind of a tricky situation. if the car is worth it to you, even figuring in a new motor, then what the heck. but, if it were me i would not rely on it being a freeze plug, unless it was really obvious, like a drip right off a crusty corroded plug. if it is cracked, it could also be cracked internally. if it has been run, is the oil milky? just be cautious, and consider the worst case scenario. good luck
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 03, 05:56 AM
Senior Tech

Dodn't touch it unless the price is below the price without an engine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 03, 08:11 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Could be monor, but I'd figure it isn't if I were you. Remember that 75-76 were the absolute low point in Chevy small block performance history. I'd figure on building an engine for it anyway. How do you detune a 350 small block to only put out 145 horses? It's still a nice car, but I'd expect to build a motor if it were me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 03, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! I'll definitely check for any water in the oil and try to get it up on a rack too...

Still for $750, probably still worth it??

Already has new heads, cam, and rebuilt 4B carb. The tires and original rallys are are in good shape. Body is 95+% ready for paint, with all of the trim and bumpers in good shape but it needs new carpet and seat covers/padding.

Hopefully I'm going to be able to make up my mind!

Thanks again!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 05:51 PM
David Pozzi

If the car has been sitting a while, crack the drain plug and watch for water dripping out around the threads. The water will go to the bottom of the oil pan at first. If there is enough water or enough agitation of the oil it will make it milky.

I've used KW block sealer with success. The one I used looked like slightly dirty water, no much to it at all.
There is another product that is like concrete that will go to the bottom of the block and settle.

I think a weak area is just below the deck on the upper sides of the block.
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode