nova rear swap - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 01, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey guys. I really need to replace the wimpy 8.2" open rear in my 69 and am leaning towards getting an 8.5" posi rear from a Nova. Have a few questions I was hoping you could help me out with.

I know that the 72 to 74 Nova rear is pretty much a bolt in but never hear much about the 75 to 79 Nova rears. What is different about those and can they be swapped into a 69 Camaro? If the width is the same, is there a difference in the spring perches? Has anyone done this swap?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 03:26 AM

Cool

The 75-79 are a direct bolt in. Same length, spring perch location etc, problem is they are a 7.2 or 7.5 " rear (cant remeber which)and are much weaker than your 8.2
The 8.5 is the best bet if you can find one. 71-81 camaro and firebirds are about 1" wider
and the spring perches are wider, but they are a good sorce for a posi carrier if you cant find a 8.5 posi.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Thumbs up

The later '70's Nova rears ARE 8.5's. I have one out of a '77 Nova in my '68. The only problem you may encounter is that the 8.5 is about an inch longer in the pinion length. You may have to shorten your drive shaft, or find a different one. I was lucky and had enough "slop" in the slip yoke to eat up the extra inch. I didn't have to shorten mine, but you may not be so lucky. The 8.5's also take a larger u-joint. You will have to get a combination type u-joint that will fit your drive shaft to the pinion yoke on the 8.5. They are readily available from any parts house. I don't remember the series numbers on the joints, but you can just tell them what you need and they'll be able to figure it out. Other than that, it's a direct bolt in. Good luck.

If you need help identifying the differences between the different rears, they have pics at this website that will help you out. Check out www.novaresource.com and click on "axle codes".

Mark

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 05:41 AM
Senior Tech

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey thanks a lot for the info. Knowing that the later year rears will also bolt in will make searching for one a little easier.

It's pretty weird that the articles I saw in the magazines mention up to 74 but not the later ones when those will fit also. Do you know if the larger u-joint and slightly longer pinion length started in 75 or is that true for the earlier rears also?
Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by my69gofast (edited 02-24-2001).]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

My 74 nova rear in my 68,had the small u joints.I believe it's the housing that's longer,not necessarly the yoke.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 03:07 AM

Cool

The 75 to 79 nova rearends are NOT 8.5" ring gear rears. They are the 7.5/7.65 as shown on the link MBREKKE posted. I have removed 2 rears both from 77 nova's, pulled them apart and measured the ring gears. They are definitly 7.5". The only nova rears that came with 8.5" where the 72-74. My guess is that someone had already swapped a 8.5" into the 77 from an older nova.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ukonjack
On the very bottom right of the link that was posted, there is a listing of ring gear sizes for each year from 72 to 79. It seems to say that the 72 to 75 Nova rears came only with 8.5, but the 76 to 79 rears were available with either the 8.5 or the 7.5 you mentioned.
This link has a lot of info. I think I'll print it out to bring with me when searching for a rear.
Thanks again
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 09:07 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Ukon

The V8's came with 8.5's

Mark
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 05:02 PM

I did the swap you are talking about in my 69 and it was a bolt in. Works great. I'm looking forward to the track this summer. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey thanks Mike and everyone else. I'm going to start looking for a rear and hopefully have it in by the summer. If I get really lucky maybe I'll get one that already has a 3.42 posi which I think will be perfect for my street driven 383/turbo 350 combo. I'm really tired of spinning my right rear tire!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode