Saginaw to Muncie conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 395
I'm changing my '69 saginaw 3 speed to a Muncie M20 4 speed.....

What else do I need to change to do this swap ??

I have a 12.5 inch flywheel and 10.4 inch clutch.... can I still use this with a Muncie ??

I have the Saginaw bellhousing..... do I need to change that ??

I know I have to change the shifter etc....

What else am I missing ??

When I decided to do this, I didnt think of all the "smaller" parts I would have to change !!!!!
DRJDVM is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 395
I know someone out there has done this........

I'm looking for those "small details" that get overlooked...
DRJDVM is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Randlett, OK USA
Posts: 183
As long as the muncie you're using has the coarse splines on the input shaft, you can use the clutch disk that you have. The length is the same, the bellhousing is the same so all you should have to supply different is a 4 speed shifter.
cam67 is offline  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 01:25 PM
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 9

Tom Parsons
DZAUTO is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 03:19 PM
Senior Tech
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,659
I converted my 3-speed Saginaw to a Muncie and used the original bellhousing, clutch linkage, and tranny crossmember. I upgraded the flywheel and clutch, but I think cam67 is correct, the Muncie should be a direct swap.

While you have everything apart, I would replace the clutch fork pivot ball that screws into the bellhousing. Mine was worn pretty bad. Replace the clutch fork if there's any wear on the end. A new clutch means a new throw-out bearing. Also, the tranny mount usually gets covered in oil, which weakens the rubber. Replacements are cheap.

Oh - the speedo cable screws into a Muncie on the passenger side. It goes in on the driver's side on a Saginaw. You will need a new speedo cable and will have to drill a new hole in the firewall to run the cable through. Hole placement can be determined with the factory engineering diagrams. The book is available from most resto shops.
gheatly is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 01:54 AM
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 149
you will also need new shifter linkage kit jegs sells them for about 90 bucks i had to for my competition plus shifter hope this helps.
68 redcam is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome