Help, cant get it to run? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 04, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Whats new? I am trying to help out a friend right now get his car running. Just rebuilt engine (by a reputable builder), new Holley carb, and new MSD HEI distributor.

I got the engine @TDC last night(felt the air coming out of the #1 cylinder), checked the wires 3x and made sure there is fuel and spark.

The engine will not start but one hellva blast comes out of the tailpipe. It did this a few times as I was trying to rotate the distributor to get it to start. Usually when I start an engine for the first time I get a small "backfire" out of the carb while I am getting the timing right butit usually starts by the second or third try. And most of the time the engines will start. I never had a blast out of the tailpipe, so I'm kinda confused. Also I am used to the engine showing some kind of life after the first revolution or two, this engine turns over 10x or better before I get the gunshot out of the tailpipe.

I am fairly sure the timing @ the distributor is correct in relationship to TDC. Is it possible that I am missing something here? How about the timing chain being off a tooth or two? Any suggestions? Its his first car build and it'd be great to help him out but I never had this much trouble get an engine to fire over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 04, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Sounds like the dist. is 180 degrees out of time

Dave
69 Big Block / Hugger Orange Sold
65 Chevelle SS
Black 2010 Electra Glide Classic
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 04, 02:58 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Check the valve adjustment and while you have the covers off check that you are at TDC for #1, both valves closed and reinstall the distributor if necessary.

[ 10-14-2004, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: phel69 ]

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 04, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech

Angry

Agree... that is the first thought that came to me. This is a good post on some thoughts for timing, because I'm fairly certain that is exactly what's wrong. Hope this helps:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/ho...38/index1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode