Tips on replacing rear seal in TH350 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

My TH350 rear seal is leaking like faster than my bank account. I assume that you can just pry the old one out and push the new one in, Right? Any other tips from you tranny guys?

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)

[This message has been edited by Brad74 (edited 01-28-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech
John

Take the driveshaft out first. Just kidding. You might want to drain out a couple quarts of fluid and raise the rear of the car higher than the front so the fluid won't drain out the tailshaft while your working back there. The new seal will have a sealant on it so all you have to do is tap it in place. Work it in evenly with moderate blows. A plastic or dead blow hammer works best. That's all there is to it.

John
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 12:43 PM

Brad, I just replaced mine and it's a piece of cake. Here is what I recommend.
1. Get a new seal and bushing kit from your local parts store $7.99 and a 2 ¼” flat washer.
2. Remove your driveline and the 4 bolts securing your Trans nose cone and the Speedo cable and Speedo driven gear.
3. Remove the nose cone, if its stuck whack it lightly with a soft mallet or the wood handle of a hammer.
4. Do a ruff clean of the nose cone in solvent and remove the old seal then the bushing by using a punch to crinkle it inward so as to collapse it and grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers.
5. Do a final through cleaning of the nose cone & dry it off completely. Then get some Vaseline and the 2 1/4" flat washer, now you are ready to install the bushing, coat the bushing and bushing bore of the nose cone with Vaseline (Don't use Grease) place the nose cone rear end up and place the bushing squarely into position place the 2 1/4" flat washer on the bushing and use a large socket on the washer and start driving the bushing by hitting the socket with a hammer, start slow and easy until you verify that the bushing has entered the nose cone squarely, after you confirm it's going in square, drive it home. It should be 0.0010 below the bore.
6. Very “Lightly” coat the outside of the new seal with RTV silicone and drive it into the nose cone with a 2x4 laid flat and a hammer.
7. Clean the trans mating surface and make sure the large round O-Ring is in position correctly, then lubricate the new seal in the nose cone with Vaseline place a small bead of RTV silicone on the nose cone to trans flange and install with a light blow of the mallet if needed. Reinstall the Speedo driven gear & cable and apply a thin film of Vaseline to the driveline slip yoke and install the driveline. You’re done.

Installing the new bushing will cut down on some vibration and help the seal to last longer.
Good Luck

------------------
JCS

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 02:04 PM
Tech Team

jcs79coupe is there a reaon why you use vaseline instead of grease
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 04:35 PM

Grease can and will contaminate ATF fluid and cause friction disc & band slippage then leading to overheating & premature transmission failure.

------------------
JCS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 05:03 PM
Tech Team

Talking

I learned something new thanks jcs79coupe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Thanks jcs for the excellent reply. That should make the job much easier.

Thanks again

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the thanks guys
Ok here is what else I recommend for every Camaro owner with a Automatic trans, Get the book titled "Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 Hand book" by HP Books its part number is HPBooks-511, the ISBN # is 0-89586-051-1. I got mine from Summit for $14.00 bucks. This is a very well written and organized book that goes deep and will remove the mystery inside the automatic TH350 forever!

------------------
JCS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode