Can I re use my head gaskets? fel pro 1003 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 02, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

I had the felpro 1003 head gaskets on my aluminum headed 383. It only had about 500 miles on it when we had to take it apart after It spun 3 main bearings. Id hate to cut corners on the rebuild but these are spendy suckers. If your not aware of what gaskets these are they are the .041 with the steel rings. So, is it bad idea to put them back in? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 02, 02:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I've re-used solid copper head gaskets, but not composition head gaskets. In my opinion they take a set and would be risky to re-use them. It might work, and I understand why you're considering it as they are pricey, but the cost to re-do them is even more.

Jody

------------------
MY CAMARO
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 02, 03:01 PM

Heck, you might try it and see!! All you will be out is your time and the cost of a new set.

I would gob it up real good with whatever you want to use, Indianhead, Aluminum paint, Copper-Cote or whatever and go for it! Imho...

Torque her down, fill her COMPLETELY up with antifreeze or water, (this is where a little 1/8th inch hole in the T-stat helps), and start her up, do a tuneup and watch for any bubbling in the radiator filler neck and if you don't see any bubbles, should be OK.

Good luck with her.. pdq67

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 02, 03:18 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

If you know which head each one came off of and they don't show any seperation or other damage, they might be O.K. I have reused head gaskets before, (read young and brave), but now being older and lazy if the cost is under $80.00-$100.00 I would replace them and play it safe. To me time is money, and to yank heads in the car and replace gaskets is worth way more than a hundred bucks.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi ( 454 now)
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech

I'm using Fel-Pro 1010 on my aluminum headed 355. They use a copper ring instead of steel. The steel rings tend to brinell (indent) the aluminum heads. Something you might want to consider.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

[This message has been edited by 1 2RUN (edited 09-12-2002).]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 02:52 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Very good point 1 2run. I would suggest you buy new gaskets. Why take a chance, how many times do you want to pull the heads? Sure it MIGHT work, but it also MIGHT NOT is that worth the risk? Head gaskets really don't cost that much. I also use the 1010 gaskets and it specifically says not to use any sealer on them (I believe the 1003 say the same thing). I am sure some people will say they have used cardboard to make head gaskets and just coated them with super duper sealer, and the car is still running with 300,000 miles on it. It is your car and your choice, but from my experience it is always cheaper to do it right the first time. Good Luck either way.

Royce
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 02, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

I scored some 1003 gaskets on ebay for $36 for both! There is small indented rings on the heads from the last set of gaskets, do I need to have the heads shaved or something? I would hate to think I have to shave some aluminum off my heads everytime I take them off. Any input on this would be awesome, its almost time to put the heads on.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 02, 02:12 AM
Senior Tech

Once you have indented or brinelled the heads you are stuck with going back and using the same gasket or it will leak. So, the 1010s are out and you will have to go back with a 1003. Or....shave the head which messes with all kinds of issues!

I always replace composite gaskets because they never "loft" back to their original thickness. This can cause catastrophic failures at the worst times.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 02, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks SRJ, so you are saying I can put my new 1003 gaskets on with no problems since that was the same gasket I used before? I guess I should have put copper gaskets on the first time.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 02, 01:53 AM
Senior Tech

Yes..sir...that's correct. There is no disadvantage to doing what you are doing, just have to stick with the ringed gaskets that's all.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 02, 05:13 PM

Jody,

You ever have problems with solid copper gaskets weeping liquids so they have to have the liquid holes ringed lightly with some P-Tex #2 or something like that or else you will have a "messy" engine??? pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode