Calling anybody with a 67-68 clutch fan. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 03, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I'm putting a thermalstatic clutch fan on my 67 small block with short water pump and shroud. I'm wondering how long should the spacer be. I already have a 2" spacer but when I put the clutch on it doesn't seem to go far enough in the shroud. The fan itself doesn't sit in the shroud. I'd also like to know if anyone has used an Imperial brand clutch. I'd like to know if they're any good. Thanks

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 03, 02:35 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Actually, the fan is not supposed to be completely inside the shroud. With a stock shroud and thermostatic clutch the fan blades on mine are half-in / half-out of the shroud which is where it is supposed to be.

You could add a 2" spacer to move the fan further inside the shroud but it made no difference in cooling when I tried it. You also want to make sure that the fan doesn't get too close to the radiator; if it does and your fan ever wobbles or anything there goes your radiator.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 03, 05:57 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

I'm using a Hayden clutch and GM replacement 7-blade fan on a short pump '68. No problems.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 03, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Unless I missunderstood I read in one of the forums that the fan should be halfway in the shroud.. So you guys don't have spacers, the clutch is just bolted on the pulley? Here's a pic of my distance to radiator. I took the shroud off for viewing. Thanks

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 03, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

You want the fan half in and half out of the shroud. Whatever spacer you need to accomplish that is what you should use. Put it together and get a tape measure to figure how much of a spacer you need. There are so many variables (big block or small block shroud, which radiator, which frame and engine mounts etc...). I don't think you can say for sure from one car to the next. the only way to get it right for sure is to measure.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 03, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

No spacers on mine. The distance from the fan mounting seat (where your finger is in the above photo) to the back of the radiator is 6 1/4"

The distance from the back of the radiator to the back edge of the fan shroud is also 6 1/4". The fan blade is twisted such that 1/2 the blade is in, the other 1/2 out.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 03, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Thanks guys! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 08-31-2003, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: RamJam ]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode