TH 700 R4 in a 67 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 01, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Question

I am thinking about replacing my TH 350 with a 700R4. Will this rob more horsepower from my engine, or will it be a good swap? How difficult is this swap?
Thanks

------------------
Cool Hand, aka The Great Cornholio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 01, 04:42 AM
Senior Tech
John

The 700 takes more horses to turn from what I understand, but I don't know about installation troubles. Also, I read your engine idea and I don't know if the 700 will be able to handle the power you are going to be putting out.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 07:48 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Have you checked into a 200R4? I understand they can take more power. Supposed to be geared more evenly as well.
Check with Performance Transmissions since you are in SAC.
Just my .02
Joe

------------------
69 SS396 Clone, B&M TH400, 3.55 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes, Chrome Rally Wheels
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech
Daniel

Thumbs up

Hi,
I put a 2004R in my 67 and I love it. It was an easy swap. If you put a 700R4 in, you will have to shortend you driveshaft. The 2004R is the same lengthas the powerglide/TH350. The trans mount is differentthough. You will need to get and modify a TH400 cross member for the 2004R swap. There are a few other details but nothing to hard.
Daniel

------------------
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 05:39 PM

The 200 is way too weak, forget about it. You can actually use the 350 mount but it's better to get a 400. YOU MUST be careful adjusting the TV cable, go to bow tie overdrives in Hesperia, they have a web site and advertise in all the mags. Steve there is truly fantastic. You also MUST use a lock up torque converter, otherwise it will overheat, something a 700 can't take. It is NOT a racing transmission, but can be lots of fun. I run a ZZ4 with a LT4 hot cam and 12 bolt 3:55, it will light them up through first and about 1/2 way thru 2nd. It'll cruise 70 @ 2,100. A great hot rod item.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode