Valve covers with Ventilation - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 03, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

On my 400sb I have a pvc valve going to the base of the carb and on the other side I have a plug with a breather. I just realized that the valve cover is not open to the breather. Is it supposed to have vents on both sides? Or is the pvc valve on the one side sufficient?
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 03, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Are you sure that there isn't just a baffle under the breather. You definitely need the valve cover open to the breather also. It may just be a baffle to keep oil from getting into you breather that you are seeing.If there is a hole in the valve cover, I bet it's open to the valve area.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 03, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Well, it looks like there is a baffle, but won't I see at least a bit of smoke coming out if it was open? I will have to pull the cover and take a better look
Scott

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 03, 08:55 PM
Senior Tech

if you are seeing smoke from the valve covers, it's time for a rebuild. besides, the pcv valve is sucking all the fumes the other way, so unless you have excess blowby, you wouldn't see anything out of that hole anyways. with the breather out, pull the pcv valve out of the other valve cover with the engine idling and see if anything comes out the hole with the breather then.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 03, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech

Angry

PCV system off of one side,with a breather on the opposite side works for me.Be sure if your valve covers have a baffle, your push in type breather or pcv valve does'nt bottom out on the baffles when installed.This will cause some serious crankcase vent problems.I had this happen on my last engine.Pushed the dip stick out and oiled the engine up a little.

69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed<br />65 C-10 P/U All 93 Drivetrain<br />88 Ranger Pro Street Chevy Powered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode