Questions on piecing together accesories. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 03, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Garage
Hi all, I'm going to start putting the final pieces together on my brand spanking new 383. I'll be yanking out the 327 this weekend. I was wondering if anyone can recommend what I should/should not reuse from my old motor. I am specifically talking about:
H2O pump- 327 is a short cast Iron pump
Pulleys
Alternator Bracket
Stock points distributor
Fuel Pump

Should I stick with the short water pump configuration or go with a new long-style aluminum water pump with new pulleys and brackets?
I'm planning on upgrading most of these parts in the future. Should I upgrade anything now to avoid any headaches getting this thing running and broken in? Also,should I upgrade the fuel pump? anyone have any recommendations there? its mostly street driving. specs are below.
thanks,

[ 03-19-2003, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: GregD ]

68 Island Teal
383/700r4
Hotchkis TVS with Global West UCA's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 03, 05:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
When I converted my 68 from 6 cyl to 350 I used all the accessories from a 69 (long water pump) because it was too hard to find all the right stuff. I'd recommend staying with what you have. If you decide otherwise and want to sell everything you have, let me know. I'd prefer to put mine back to stock 68.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 03, 05:46 AM
kip

greg,

i believe everything can be swapped over. i went from a 327 to a 381 and reused my 327 stuff to save money. i had a semi-new long water pump on the 327 though. with a new motor and plans for a new water pump, i would opt to put a new water pump on now, but i know things add up fast.
i also switched from the old school points to a summit HEI distributor, has a 48K volt coil. i love it, very good upgrade in my opinion, i saw better performance and gas mileage. it is a tight fit to the firewall. theres a lot of ignition options out there to choose from.

let us know how your 383 runs, the combo looks stout! you'll definitely be wanting a posi in there, especially with that 3.06 first gear!!
good luck
kip

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 03, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Garage
I think I'm going to stick with the short water pump and pulleys for now to try save a little bit of money. I'm thinking of going with an MSD6-AL and using the crane points-to-digital conversion kit on my current distributor. A posi rear-end is on the list too. Not sure if I should stick with the Stock 8.2 10 bolt or spend the extra money and hunt down an 8.5.
Thanks for the input.

68 Island Teal
383/700r4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 03, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

Garage
I think I'm going to stick with the short water pump and pulleys for now to try save a little bit of money. I'm thinking of going with an MSD6-AL and using the crane points-to-digital conversion kit on my current distributor. A posi rear-end is on the list too. Not sure if I should stick with the Stock 8.2 10 bolt or spend the extra money and hunt down an 8.5.
Thanks for the input.

68 Island Teal
383/700r4

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 03, 11:46 AM

hey there,
sounds like a nice ride you've got there! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I just replaced the '72 engine in my (true) 68SS350 camaro. I can tell you for a fact, those pulleys and brackets are worth their weight in gold! If you're really goin' for it, the SSs have special P/S brackets, and an (optional?) chrome/"bright" oil filler cap on the tube. I personally think that the short water pump engines have a bit of a cache to them. 69 an up cars all look the same. If you can have the killer combo (like you do) and still look old-school, that's when you've got it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 03, 11:47 AM

oh! just thought i'd add; Petronix has this new point replacement kit that totally fits inside the old distributor and has a built in rev. limiter!! Hmmmm....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode