4speed into an Auto Trans car - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Question

To anyone who may help:

I have a Saginaw 4-speed to place in my 1981 camaro. What I need is a beat up cheap parts car that has the pedals, linkage, drive shaft etc, in order to convert my car from a th400 auto to a stick shift. can anybody help me? I could just use the parts also, if not the whole car. ANY help is greatly appreciated. I will be glad to drive to you if you have the parts. Thankyou very much.
<>Jonathan Goddard, Southern Maryland<>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 08:15 AM

first of all if you race your car or have any power over 280 to 300hores and like to drop the clutch and grab gears dont use the segina it will blow up i know i went through 2 of them. that being said i think the best idea to do your instal is to get the hydrolic bellhousin and all acceserys(pedel,though bering,resivar,and lines).you may have to build a bracket for your firewall but this may be easyer than pissing with a manual clutch setup. and if you can find a mid80s firebird or comaro for cheap you can get a t5 top loaded 5speed witch is well worth the trayedup .then sell your 4speed . this is only my opinin but i promis you power + gear bangen=saigina go bango
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 09:34 AM

Good advice, Wildside! My T-5 did that and I
never drove it hard. I would keep the 400 and
put the money into a good converter,cooler,
and rebuild and save myself a lot of trouble
(and work!).Maybe it's because I drove manual
transmissions for fifteen years??!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 01, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech

Just my .02 you can take it with a grain of salt. My all time dream car was a 69 camaro 396cid and 4 speed. Never could find one I could afford. A few months ago I found out my sisters boyfriend had a 68 and he may want to sell it. So I went and looked at it and it had a pretty good body, inter. was not the best, all of the weather striping was ate up but it had the 295Hp 350cid which was fine and had a powerglide which I hate. I talked him into selling me the car for $3000 and I drove it home. After doing some engine work and doing a little more studing about 1st gens I found out that I like the 68 better than the 69 anyway and I could put a 4 speed in it. I am now in the process of putting the 4 speed in and am having problems I didn't even think of. But when its done and I can drop it in second at 30mph and side step the clutch and hopefully get sideways it will be worth all the work it took to get it in there. If the standard is what you want, do what ever it takes to get it in the car and enjoy it. We all are not promised tommorrow so do it and enjoy it as long as you can. Just don't drive like theres no tommorrow. I'll stop babbling and read through some more post now.

Shane
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 01, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Well, I know the saginaw is a notoriously "sub-par" trans for race cars. BUT my 1981 Z28 rarely gets all sideways. I go for the maximum gas mileage most of the time(22 is good! only 13 around town) and I only sometimes hot rod it. That saginaw will be in there for purposes of gloriously rowing through those gears, whenever I feel like it. I love a manual. ALSO, they allow much better gas mileage on the highway. You must understand, I drive 180 miles a day!!! I spend four hours minimum on the road a day. So, thats basically what the whole saginaw thing is about. besides, I got it for free, and although chirping third gear at 70 miles per hour is awesome with my TH400, I still love those "manny trannies"
<>Jonathan<>
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 01, 05:38 PM
Tech Team

Shane what kind of problems are you having? I too have a 68 and am considering the same conversion.
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode