Alternator Bolt Troubles - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 03, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The alternator on my '69 Camaro - 350 engine keeps shearing off bolts. It's the bolt that goes through the top slide bracket that you tighten after tension is on the belt. I bought a chrome alternator and it came with a chrome 5/16" bolt. The bracket is a stock (non chrome). After a week of driving, the bolt broke right at the front (radiator side) of the bracket. I figured it was a cheap soft bolt so I replaced it with a non chrome 5/16" grade 8 bolt and after another week of driving, that bolt broke in the same exact place. The alternator looks to be aligned straight and the belt seems to be riding right in the center of the pulleys and the tension seems to be right (Not too tight). I thought of trying to use to a 3/8" grade 8 bolt but that would mean drilling out the hole on the chrome alternator and widening the slot in bolt slide bracket. I even tried watching for movement while revving the engine and everything looks good. The last time it broke, I heard the broken end of the bolt with the nut attached hit my fan and I'm worried that the next one may do some damage. I don't run the car hard and it's happened under normal driving. Has anyone had this same experience and if so, what did you do for a fix? Thanks! Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 03, 04:09 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Sounds like a case of over tightening the bolt. I don't see how a grade 8 bolt could break off that way unless it was twisted on installation- or not truly a grade 8 bolt. If you are sure that overtightening is not possible I don't have a clue why this is happening. I had a chrome alternator bolt just as you described but never had any trouble with it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Alternator Bolt Troubles

This has happened again with another 5/16" grade 8 bolt. Any suggestions?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 08:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

too weird for me, I'd expect a grade 8 bolt to pull the threads right out of the alluminum alternator housing long before any damage happened to the bolt itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

It is transferring imbalance conditions and the place having the most effect is right at the bolt.

Make sure the top bracket is bolted in three places, two about the thermostat area and the adjustment place.

Also, check to see the bottom bracket is bolted in both places, the alt case and to eng block. And don't forget the bracket to the water pump.

Another thing you may want to do is use a large pattern flat washer, Gr 8, under the head, or replace the fastening assembly with a Gr 8 stud or a socket head bolt and flat washer.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 12:26 PM
Guess

Take a look at the slot in the upper bracket. Run a file through the slot and clean up the edges, making them flat and/or rounded a little. The bracket may be cutting a groove in the bolts, making them weak.... then SNAP!!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech

I might be way off here but did you hear the belt squealing at any time? It could be something locking up and there would be a lot of torque applied to the bolt. Just a guess worth checking.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 05, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up Re: Alternator Bolt Troubles

Thanks for all the useful info. I'll perform all those checks and post back what I find.
Thanks again! Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode