I want to put Back-up light switch on my transmission - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 02, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi,

I have a 67 camaro with a Muncie M21 4spd trans. I never had the switch to hook up my back-up lights i've been using a toggle switch under the dash. Now i found out i can still get some of the parts i need. Of course i need the switch which i can't find, if somebody has one they want to sell e-mail me. I'm told i need a rod that hooks to the switch a bracket that holds the switch. Is there anything else i need to do this and how do i do it and what do i do if i don't have the plug that i'm guessing the switch plugs into? Thanks and sorry for so many questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 02:46 AM
Senior Tech

RamJam, Rick's catalog has everything you need including the switch and wiring harness. (It is pricey though )

Hope this helps,
Joe

[This message has been edited by Turbo_Jet (edited 10-31-2002).]
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech
Dan

If you are using an aftermarket hurst shifter, they (Hurst) sells a switch that works with it. -Dan

[This message has been edited by 68sixspeed (edited 10-31-2002).]

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yes, I guess you'd say it's a/market my car came with a muncie but i replaced it in late 70's with brand new Hurst. I'll check out both ideas. I have the Ricks d/loaded catalog but some how i missed that. Thanks
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Will I be able to put the kit on w/out dropping trans?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech
Lance

I bought the Hurst backup switch from Rick's 1st Gen. Part number HCP-7, $24,95.

You won't need to remove the trans to install it. The bracket bolts to the shifter travel stop bolt. When you shift into reverse the shifter rod/lever compresses the switch completing the circuit and turning on the lights. My car was originally an automatic, so I just ran two wires from the original harness to the new switch.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 10:52 AM
Tech Team

classic industries also has um, but not sure of the price. www.classicindustries.com
click the link and download the catelog (long download if you are dialup)
jeff
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey Spitfire,

When you say 2 wires are you counting a ground? The kit sounds good i'll get one. Thanks guys
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech

The two wires are pink and light green I think. The pink wire is the feed from the ign switch and the green wire goes to the reverse lights. They get connected to the two terminals on the switch.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'd like to kick the guy in the *** that didn't want to spend the xtra money for the right switch.
I have a toggle switch for the lights now, that is connected to lower part of my dash, what will i have to do? Run the wires up thru hole in floor for shifter and out from under my console?
Then figure out which ones from tog/switch are the right ones for it, it has like 5 wires hooked to it, who knows what that guy did. Thanks guys much appreciate it.
I've had this car a long time but now i want it to be right.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 04:23 PM
Tech Team

You can make a bracket that bolts to the rod travel stop bolt and mount a brake lite switch to it. Run your wires from your toggle switch. Works good.....
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Too late for that idea, Thanks though.
I just bought the Hurst switch today at my local speed shop. Same price i would of paid thru catalog but got it right away. Problem is is that i don't know which wires from tog/switch get hooked to it and it came with no instructions just bracket and switch. The 2 prongs on switch say nothing on them about what wires hook where also what gauge wire should i use for this?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 10:55 AM
Tech Team

If you haven't figured it out already, metal will conduct in either direction. All the mounted switch is doing is closing the circuit. This is exactly what you did when you flipped your toggle switch only instead of you flipping it (or tripping it), the trans now does it. Just hook it up like the toggle switch.
jeff
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech
Lance

Jeff's right. Just take those two wires from your toggle switch and hook them up to the new switch. If you connect the two wires you have now the lights should come on. When the new switch is engaged it closes the circuit, connecting the two wires. I just used black speaker wire. Maybe 18 guage.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok, Yes I understand about the 2 wires it's just that I have more then 2 wires on the toggle switch i'm going to have to follow them see where they go..

I bought 14ga wire for install. I guess i'll run it up drive-train tunnel thru f/wall connect under dash. Does anyone know how they ran these wires at the factory? Thanks all

People help me with my questions and I help them with their questions; What a concept
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode