Clutch Fan? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 05, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

I have a 69SS originally an AC car, but I'm putting in Vintage Air. The engine is not original and came with a 6 blade flex fan with about a 2 inch spacer in front of the water pump, a shroud and no clutch. Can I just put a clutch on it? And which set up would be best? Is it better to use a clutched fan or not? For power? For reliability?
As you can see, I don't know a lot about clutch fans. I will read my assembly manual while I wait for responses to see what insight I can glean from the original set ups.
Thanks,
John

69 SS350 Coupe, 4 speed- under construction- "resto-mod"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 05, 03:03 PM

For the most available horsepower use electric fans,then you have the clutch fans that are thermostatically engaged otherwise they freewheel,then you have the flex fan which is direct drive all the time and robs the most horsepower.IMO the clutch fan is the way to go,less worries,maintance,failure like I said MY OPION!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 05, 03:05 PM

I'm sorry maintenance not the other way I spelled it [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 05, 03:07 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

I 2nd clutch fan.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 05, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech

Flexalite 5255 Fan Clutch
FlexaLite 5718 18" Fan Blade
About $75 damage at summitracing.com

Quiet and does a much better cooling job than the old flex fan did before. Also no dangerous 'spacer' either.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 05, 05:29 PM

Man your car is awsome Ive been wanting to paint mine blue but haven't really chose a color that is defentately an option,I'd like to see some pics of it put back together,Love those welds. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 05, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech

I'll have more pictures probably next week, still finishing up installing the window moldings and emblems. Debating on how to reinstall the emblems, probably going to backfill them with 5 min epoxy, then after that cures use some 3m gray double sided tape to stick them to the fenders.

and
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 05, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Thanks guys!
Brian-what could be better than a photo AND part numbers! I'll hook up those units on my engine.
Thank you,
John

69 SS350 Coupe, 4 speed- under construction- "resto-mod"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 05, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech

Angry

My vote is for the clutch fan too!! I had a 5 blade flex fan with a 2 inch spacer and it was nothing but noisey!! Looked cool but I did not like the noise and when I switched to the clutch fan I gained a little bit of noticable horse power and it runs cooler. My fan is from a 1972 Chevy truck that had factory A/C and the clutch is for the same application but a new part.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 05, 01:15 PM

I dont think I'm going back with any emblemsI think its going to blue and chrome (MLDGS)I'm also doing away with the chrome mlgd on the rockers.No grill or tail pan emblems either.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 05, 02:16 PM
Senior Tech

Really? Drop the emblems and chrome?!?!!?
I just installed the new chrome molding below the doors and it really looks great with that piece in place! I have a clean tail pan but am thinking of putting that blue bowtie on it as well (although using tape not the studs). I am leaving the trunk lid emblem off, I have a spoiler now and don't need an emblem above it. I did put a new emblem on the header panel and will definitely want my 383 emblems next to the marker lights on the fenders. I might leave off the CAMARO emblems on the front fenders though.
My grill has a new shiny blue bowtie emblem installed as well, just gorgeous I think.
I won't be installing the wheel well molding though, don't like them.

and
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 05, 11:12 PM

I have to vote for the clutcher too. Reason being is that it simply does a better job on vehicles with big engine bays. I have tried electric fans, and flex fans, all with very unsatisfactory results. I am thankful my old lady works for GM, so I was able to get a factory GM clutch fan at garage-sale price, but even if I had to pay full dealer price, I would still do it. I got mine new for my '83 just a few months ago, and it's a dang good thing I did it when I did, because they are now discontinued and only a few were left in the supplier warehouse; thank hank I got one! (I just like new things, y'know, with the peace of mind in knowing it isn't going to crap out in 2 months.)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 05, 12:34 AM

Brian I bet the blue bowtie is cool.I would like to put a billit bowtie in the grill and maybe tint it with some pearl blue clearcoat to give it an anodized look but do it the same color as the car and still be able to see some billit as well.I'm going to drop my wheel wells as well they just collect dirt.Im going to keep the gill emblems in front of the back tires though I love those on a 69.I am definately going to shave the drip rails,I posted back on body shop about it and had some really good replies,check it out and look at Bobs 69 that car is awesome,my son (8) mad me print off a picture of it to put in his room.Im just want the clean sleeper look but yet flashy at the same time if thats possible.Look at the link in my signature at the sonoma I put together a few years back thats pretty much what I'm after,The truck would have looked much better with aluminum rims though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode