434 stroker kit, is this good or bad - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ory=33620&rd=1

Come on guys, what do you think of this. I have been searching on a stroker kit for about a month. This guy said that the price of the kit would be $1549. W/ 4340 steel crank, 4340 H-beam rods, and etc. This guy has great feedback, and I personally email some of his past auction winners and they had nothing but good things to say about him.

Im ready to order the kit and Summit's is about $1900, this is just a way to save a little extra money for those AFR 210 heads.

Thanks guys!!!!!

Robby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Also I will ask, if something was to be screwy with this, does Eagle have a stamp on their parts? Like does the crank and rods has a Eagle , or say Eagle, or is there any way to tell that there Eagle besides the box??
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 10:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

If you're using a stock factory 400 block I'd say to not do it. Every race shop I spoke with told me that. The amount of grinding you have to do really weakens the block when you run that much stroke. If you have an aftermarket or Bowtie block it works fine.

I was told to only run a max of 1/8" stroke (415 cid) on the factory blocks.

Eagle cranks and rods have their Eagle logo stamped/etched into them.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 03, 11:37 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

My Eagle rods did have their logo etched on them, however I never noticed a logo on the crank (that's not to say it isn't there though . . . )

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 03, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech

Just a quick question, a 400 .30 over with 3.85 or 3.80 crank give you a 415. And what would be the biggest advantage having a 415 over a 406. Are the few extra inches worth the extra money. And what size rod do you use with a 415, 6.0 or 5.7. Thanks
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 03, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I was thinking more of a 400 (4.125 bore) .030 over (4.155 bore) with the stroker 4.00 Eagle crank. 4 inch stroke X 4.155 bore = 434 c.i.

I didn't know if that much stroke would weaken the block. If it would, like mentioned earlier, then I would stick with just a 406 c.i. I myself dont see that the money -vrs- advantage of the 415 c.i. would equal the expense, but going from 400 c.i. to a 434 c.i. would definitely be worth it to me. Considering that it would only be a additional $200.

The shop thats assem the short block has done this combination a couple dozen times. I reckon that I need to find out what type of blocks he was doing this on. I appreciate everyones help so far, & if anyone else has any opinions let me know.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 03, 08:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

It can be done; thing is most shops agree an aftermarket block is a much better solution. You're adding 1/4" to the stroke; that's a bunch. The sprint car shop I dealt with for years talked me out of it even though he's done it before. He felt it really weakens the lower end of the block even if you partially fill it like mine was. After that I spoke with several others who said the same, although they'd do it for me if I wanted them to.

Jody

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 03, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech

im in going to be building my engine very soon.
If you were going to buy all forged bottom end parts why not go on and stroke it to a 415, or does that weeken the block to much. Just asking.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 03, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Camcojb:
[QB] It can be done; thing is most shops agree an aftermarket block is a much better solution. You're adding 1/4" to the stroke; that's a bunch. The sprint car shop I dealt with for years talked me out of it even though he's done it before. He felt it really weakens the lower end of the block even if you partially fill it like mine was. After that I spoke with several others who said the same, although they'd do it for me if I wanted them to.

You see, this is what I really like about this site. Honest answers from actual people that have been through it. I was not aware how bad that it would weaken the block, I was in the toss up on to which one to build, but seeing as I already have a stock 400 block machined already, I think that I will just stick w/the 415 c.i. since Im buying a new bottom end anyway.

Camcojb; thanks for your help and insight. I would have hated to have went though all of this trouble just to have a engine that might not hold up as good as it could. Maybe down the road after a few years I will go for the 434 c.i. (By the way, your yellow s/c camaro if freakin insane!!!) I could sit and stare at the pics all day!

So everyone pretty much agrees that this engine kit would be a good deal, just go easy on the stroke.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 03, 09:17 AM

im planning on building a 434 for my camaro soon. and i will be using a stock gm block. an aftermarket block is not a must when building this motor. my local machine shop built a 434 for my friends race car that made 600+ horsepower and could live at 6500+rpm all day long and he never had any problems out of the motor. he used this motor for 3 entire seasons before selling the car.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 03, 10:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Like I said, it can be done and has been done without problems. However, there are more problems than successes with this one. Just seems a lot safer to start with a better block that's engineered to take this much stroke.

Jody

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode