Hone or bore? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 03, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I've got a 400 shortblock I picked up from the junkyard for $50. It's a 2-bolt, and has been bored .040 over already. I had the block sonic-checked to determine cylinder wall thickness, and it can go .060 safely. I plan to half-fill the water jackets anyway with some block filler for stability.

It looks as if it was rebuilt recently. There is no ridge at the top of the cylinder wall. However, since it was sitting at the junkyard, there is some light surface rust on two cylinders. Would a simple hone job take care of this, or should I have it bored .060?

I'd like to avoid boring again, in case if I want to rebuilt it later.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 03, 01:31 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

The machine shop should have been able to tell you when you had it sonic checked. Did they make a suggestion at all? I am pretty sure it will also depend on the pistons you use. You may be able to hone it and use a coated piston. It will all come down to how much you have to remove to clean up the scratches and rust. Honestly, the only way to know is to have it checked ayt a machine shop.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 03, 08:29 PM

I would bore it .060" over and when that finally wheres out just throw the block away, get a new block and use your .060" pistons and all your other bottom end parts on that. Should be way cheaper unless you put a ton of money into other parts of the block.

1972 Chevy Nova 357cubes

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 03, 08:41 PM
Senior Tech

I would let the machine shop hone it 1st and see how it comes out. My luck has been on the last couple of slavage yard motors I built with rusty bores they needed to be bored...some of the rust pits was just too deep. Only a hone job will tell.
Not that I recommend this, but I have built dirt cheap "commuter" motors in the past with less than perfect cylinder walls and lived to tell about it. I wouldn't do it on a performance application, but for a back and forth to work beater it can work ok.

BTW, that is a beautiful car. My favorite color has always been greys and silvers. Looks good [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 03, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Thanks for the compliment, Travis.

I wont be throwing a whole lot into this block, I don't think it's worth it. It will be used as a street/strip motor in the Camaro, so not a daily driver. I plan on buying a Vega or Monza sometime, so if the motor makes it that long, I'll throw it in there...should be easy 10's.

Anyway, I'll just take it to the machinist and have him look at it. The problem I have is finding affordable hypereutectic or forged pistons in .060 oversize for a 400. Maybe I need to look harder.

In the meantime, is there a way I can remove the rust to see if I've got any pitting without any harm?

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 03, 07:54 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Exclamation

WD 40 on a light abrasive pad and a rag should remove enough rust and not harm anything. Just spray and rub lightly. Might have to let it sit for while

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 03, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I used some Navel Jelly and removed most of the rust. There are a couple of spots I haven't gotten out yet. The bores look smooth, no signs of pitting. The ridge at the top of the cylinder is very light, so I hope to just hone it and call it good!

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode