No Power - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 00, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Angry

My car has no power, when I floor it nothing happens and I can barely get past 60 km/h.
I drove the car home one day and popped the hood and the exhaust manifold was glowing red.
Here's a list of things I did or know about this:

1 no particular port on manifold, just at the base of it was red
2 took off catalytic conv. recently it was full of holes.
3 starts and idles great, revs up decently until you put a load on it
4 when I drive it, it backfires out of the carb I think
5 nothing was changed just happened one day when I went to start it and it backfired hard, then started and ran like S**T.

Any help is greatly appreciated, keep in mind that it was -30C out and it was still glowing red.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 00, 05:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I'm not sure what kind of car you've got, but I would look hard at the muffler/exhaust system. It sounds like the exhaust is plugged; the backfire could have damaged the muffler/resonator. As a test I would remove the muffler and/or resonator (one at a time if you have both) temporarily and drive the car.

Removing the convertor will lean the car out but I doubt it would be enough to make it not go past 60 kmh! One other thing I had happen to me was on a 71 Camaro I had. The inlet pipe to the muffler from the manifold is double-wall; outside looked perfect and the inside was crushed. Maybe running through a deep puddle when hot or ? I went crazy looking for the problem. The car wouldn't go past 55-60 mph. After removing the muffler I dropped the exhaust pipes down from the manifolds; not completely off, just as far down as they could go and still leave the nuts on the manifold studs. That's how I figured it out.

It's also possible the back-fire caused the cam timing to jump but if it was enough to cause the symptoms you describe it wouldn't run well at all. You indicated it runs good idling or revving in neutral, just has no power. Check the exhaust!

Jody
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 00, 08:42 AM

Smile

If you are running a Holley carb., did the power valve get blown because of the back-fire??? pdq67

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 00, 09:57 AM
Senior Tech

One of the first things that I would do is to check and correctly adjust the timing.. It sounds to me like your ignition timing could be off (retarded). Use a quality dialp-back timing light and set it to factory spec initially. I believe this will be of great value to you.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 00, 02:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

You state that you took the cat off. Is the problem still there? Give us some more info. Also, pull the plugs and tell us what you see. If you have a Holley and the power valve blew, you should see sooty plugs. Have you ever changed the fuel filter? That wouldn't cause cherry manifolds but would give the other symtoms. The manifold turning red seems like a plugged exhaust but please get back with info. Good luck. Think warm thoughts!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 00, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

When I took off the cat it still ran the same. I tried disconnecting the exhaust before the axle and it ran the same (straight pipe). The plugs, I just put new ones in and the old ones were ok. What about a burned out exhaust valve or something? It was mentioned to me, how would I test for something like that? Thanks for the help.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 00, 12:08 PM

Smile

You usually can hear a bad valve. They kinda go Stt, Stt, Stt, if you get what I mean.

Will a lean condition cause the manifolds to glow or is it the other way around?? pdq67

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 00, 04:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

A compression test will tell you alot about the valves, etc. If the plugs look ok, then the mixture should be good.I'm wondering if you could have broken a rocker, collapsed a lifter, etc? I would think you would hear a metallic ticking, though. As mentioned, put a timing light on it to check the advance, initial setting.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech

A vacuum leak will make the exhaust manifolds glows also. Please don't ask how I know!

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode