Spun bearing on new 383 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

I just pulled motor apart was Knocking it spun # 2 Looks like it wasn't getting any oil # 1 wasn't spun but didn't look to good when I put it together all rods came in 1.5 with plastigauge was this to tight all the other bearings look good it's a new speedomotive cast crank anybody ever have trouble with these before oil should get to 1 and 2 before the rest of the motor I had 60 lbs of oil pressure at idle before bearing spun and about 30 after any suggestions.

68 Camaro conv 454 turbo 400 86 21 Chaparall 406 sbc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

In my opinion, 0.0015" is a little on the tight side. The acceptable clearance range I use is anywhere from 0.002"-0.0025" with most rod bearing clearances being around 0.0025". Also, check to make sure that your oiling holes in the crank are clean. I use Federal Mogul or Clevite 77 in my motors and have never had a problem. Everything has always checked out as far as clearances. Let us know how it works out. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

.0015 is on the tight side but IMO not enough to cause a bearing to spin by itself. Not sure what oil grade you were using but with clearances that tight I'd have been using 5w30. In general, the tighter the bearing the thinner the oil should be . . .

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 04:21 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
one thing to add, always use plenty of assembly lube.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input I broke it in with 20-50 with all the moly lube and breakin lube crane gives you for the cam.I just don't know I'm going to take it out and give it to the crank guy around here to see if was getting oil to the journals and see if he can weld it and save if not its junk even if speedomotive gives me a new crank it's still another 225 to get it balanced.Iwill let you know how I make out I was more concerned with everything else clearing never thought this would happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode