Cracked engine block(original 396) - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Red face

I am restoring a 69 big block 396 pace car, and in starting on the engine rebuild, they discovered in the hot dipping of the block that there is a crack in the water jacket on the passenger side of the motor. Do you know of anyone who does cast iron block repairs or welding?
My name is Paul Bolognone, I live in South Jersey there are 5 Bolognones in the family so far, thats where 5 beesbuying comes from. Thanks for your help so far, The crack is parallel to the deck adout a 1/2 inch below the thick metel at the top of the jacket. The crack is is visually noticible at about 1 inch long. I have been told that it is likely longer than it appears on the outside(perhaps another inch to two inches on each side of the visible crack.)I have seen the muggyweld clip, I have also looked in to the non welding process of metel locking (in Buffolo NY) where they drill out the crack and pean in a tooled piece of metel and stitch it. I have talked to a Person at crow welding regarding heating the block and a spray welding process. I think I need to find someone with some experience locally that can repair and warrenty their repair before I move forward on this block.

[ 10-11-2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: 5beesbuying ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 04:46 PM
Bill

Whateveryournameis,
You did not mention where the crack is actually located, such as between two freeze plugs etc. Also, it would be nice if you listed your location in your profile so that I could see if I could find someone close to you that can repair it. I am surprised that your machine shop cannot help you ??? If they do not do any crack repair themselves, surely they know a shop that can do it. It is really not all that difficult. If they are AERA ( www.aera.org ) members, they could call the tech line and ask for someone near you to help. Post some better info and your location (and your name, my Mother taught me a long time ago not to talk to strangers) and I will see if I can help.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 08:05 PM

Talking

Bill,

You gotta get off this "Whateveryournameis" kick!!!

I don't care what the handle is as long as there is good stuff to comment on and to learn about...

He, he!!

Just pdq67 mouthing off again....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 03, 01:48 PM
Bill

I will help anyone, and bend over backwards to do it, but I personally was brought up differently and hate it when people are ashamed of thier names !
5Bees,
If you let me know where you are, I will find someone that can fix your block, as long as the crack is not somewhere crazy.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 03, 05:41 PM

Smile

I know Bill,

I'm gonna get phylosophical here or however it's spelled for a time..

Doesn't have anything to do with cars so if anyone out there isn't interested, just please skip this..

It's like shaking the hand of a guy on your first meeting and shaking a dead fish.. I don't like that at all!!

Or the guy that has a full beard AND wears sunglasses so you can't get to know him by looking at his facial expressions or into his eye's, which to me is the way to a man's soul..

You just gotta remember that us old guy's are, well just that old, and the younger guy's are different then we are. Not bad but different non the less when it comes ta names and such..

Heck, you are forgiven for being the way you are as I hope I am mouthing sooo much..

Now that i have that out of the way, LET'S GET BACK TA yammering about our CAR'S!!

pdq67

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 03, 07:27 PM
David Pozzi

I chuckle to myself every time I see Bill struggling with the lack of a real name to call someone. I have the same difficulty. Hang in there Bill, I'm rooti'n for ya! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 03, 02:39 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

www.Muggyweld.com Check it out.

I think that is the link. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Mark.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 03, 04:54 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

WOW !!

I just watched the video of the cast iron crack repair on muggy weld. That is increadable. I have 396 that needs some repair, now all I have to do is learn to weld or find someone that can.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode