engine stall - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 03, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Red face

HI
I just drove the camaro and after 35 miles or so, the engine began to stall under acceleration, like if gasoline was missing. suprisingly the car ran very good for the last 35 miles. So i don't understand why the carb shouldn't work right after... maybe the filter let something pass trough? And i installed the carb recently (it is an old holley 1850 i think) and washed it very good before i set it.
ALso some months ago i got a similar motor stalling problem, but it was under the rain and it seemed to be because of the distributor. I didn't touch anything in the engine and when it was dry again the car did run again very good.

these are very annoying problems because my starter doesn't work when the engine is hot.

What do you think? do you think it is the carb? i had full gasoline in the tank.

No i just feel like forgeting this car. And maybe when later, install a new edelbrock carb a new dist and a new functionnal starter before i drive the car again !

Marc

Camaro 1968, propane 327ci, Big Brake, Hotchkis, T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 03, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

i told you about the stalling problems : well i checked several things and discovered after that ride that the battery was almost dead. I discovered the alternator gives max 12.3 V (i can't say accuratly because i forgot to check the alternator running with the wires unconnected) . I think a good operating alternetor should give 14 V . Should that low voltage on the alternator involve a bad battery loading that means a consumtion of current and so after the 60 miles or so i travelled , my battery was almost dead?
I am sure the battery is OK because i could recharge it without problem and it is 7 month old.

Another explanation for the stalling may come from the fuel line, that are very close to the headers. what may be possible is : as the engine compartment gets hooter, after 50-60 miles the fuel line were hot as well, involving gas to evaporate in the line itself, causing bubbles of fuel, and when it comes to the carb (a 4160 1850 600 cfm) and you step onthe gas asking for power and rpm, then it stalls because of these bubbles.
So i think it is not a bad idee to move the fuel line else where at a cooler place.

I think my problems come from both fuel and alternator, but i wish you tell me if you think the same or you think about something else or simply what i think is impossible ..

Camaro 1968, propane 327ci, Big Brake, Hotchkis, T56
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 03, 07:42 PM
David Pozzi

Do not run your alternator without a connection to the battery. It can damage the alternator and damage anything electronic in your car like an ignition module or radio.

Your alternator is not charging at that voltage. You should have 14 to 14.5 volts at the alternator output terminal.

check your wiring and the voltage regulator if you still have the stock charging system.
There is a better functioning electronic regulator available. I have one shown on my web page. The stock one is mechanical with contact points, it can cause the headlights to flicker up and down at night.
David

[ 09-15-2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: davidpozzi ]

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode