HEI and Motor mounts on 68 with 327 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 03, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Will

Garage
Unhappy

I've got my 327 rebuilt and I'm going to use the Stock HEI that came with the engine I bought. What I want to know is I have read that you can switch the motor mount on the sub-frame from one side to the other to give yourself the clearance one would have to get with a hammer normally. Has anyone actually done this? From what I can tell the lip of the mount would have to be ground off in order for the mount to bolt flush to the sub-frame. I'm using PST for the actual engine mount and would rather know switching the mounts will work rather than experimenting on if it will work or not. I DO NOT want to massage the firewall if I can help. Please advise me oh multitude of Classic Camaros
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 03, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile

Are you going to use headers or an 8" balancer ? If so, my advice is to dent the firewall slightly, for your HEI clearance. If you try swapping frame stands etc. I bet your headers won't fit and an 8" balancer will contact your swaybar unless you use huge shims. Your other option is to use '69 frame mounts and engine mounts for a 350SS and install a small body HEI from http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com .

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 03, 10:50 PM
Senior Tech

Angry

Big HEIs and first gens don't play well together. Check out www.davessmallbodyheis.com. He will take a stock breaker point ignition, refurbish it and machine it to accept an HEI module. He installs a reluctor wheel in place of the points. It looks stock and is easy to repair. You don't have to mash your firewall and you can buy replacement modules at any autoparts store in the country unlike pertronics and others. I don't have a photo web host, but I can send you pictures of mine if you're interested.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 03, 05:49 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
I couldn't tell you what frame mounts I have, but they're bolted and welded in, who,when,or why? I used the Poly motor mounts with the 406, a 79 HEI, and have about 1/2" clearance, but had to shim down the swaybar to get 1/4" for the balancer. All I can say is to do a test fit and go from there. It's about a 50/50 shot , some fit some don't.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 03, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Will

Garage
I am using headers. Have Sanderson ceramic coated designed for 1st gen F bodies. As far as the balancer, I'm just planning on a stock unit.

By just eyeballing the situation it does appear that switching sides on the mounts will give me at least an inch forward movement of the engine and tranny.

I hate to have to spend more $ for a small body distributor.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 03, 10:07 AM
DTB
Senior Tech

TJS69 is right. I've dented the firewall on two different 68 Camaros and put the stock HEI in with no problems. I think dent is the wrong word. You just massage it in a little and after it is done and you paint the firewall it's not a concern. How many people actually crawl behind their stock point distributor to look at the firewall. Sure you see the HEI when done, and know that its not original, but the shaping of the firewall isn't apparent. just place the distributor in as far down as it will go, with the cap on, and trace an outline with a sharpee felt pen, then slowly massage it in and keep rechecking. The part I've found that needed the final adjustment was the area behind the spark plug boot on the drivers side. Once done, paint the firewall and install the distributor and you'll be amazed at how nice it looks. Todd

68 RS/SS 350 Convertible<br /><a href="http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/393973/compressedimage1.JPG" target="_blank">http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/393973/compressedimage1.JPG</a>
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 03, 08:32 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Or you might get lucky like I did and the thing will fit without doing anything. Mine is a 69 with 307 mounts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 03, 10:37 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Although I have a stock size distributor in my 67, I have heard that sometimes you have to dent the firewall and sometimes you don't with an HEI.

Tim

67 Camaro RS
64 Nova SS

"Pay attention, there's gonna be a test later."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode