Help, fuel pouring out of vent tube! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

Doing initial tune on freshly rebuilt 67 302. Everything bone stock & blueprinted, including the points ignition system and 3911 780cfm carb (4150 series) rebuilt by MacNeish.

I was having trouble setting the idle and discovered I'd installed the choke rod upside down and besides not operating properly it was binding with the fast idle cam. Fixed that, adjusted it "just right", checked the fuel bowl levels (fuel at bottom of thread), and tried starting up again.

Now, when I crank for a little bit and stop, fuel starts bubbling out of the main vent tube. If I crank for say 20-30 seconds, fuel is literally POURING out of the vent tube.

After cleaning off the intake and I open the sight plug on the main fuel bowl, fuel does in fact come out until the level is back below the threads.

What the heck did I do now?!?!?! Except for the choke/idle problem, everything was hunky-dory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 01:02 PM
Bill

DJ,
Sounds like a piece of "trash" got into the fuel line and is probably stuck in the needle and seat assebly, keeping it from closing all the way. You could try some carb cleaner in through the fuel inlet, but you will probably have to take the needle and seat out and clean it. This is not all that unusual with a Holley carb after a complete rebuild. Even the slightest bit of rubber from a new fuel line etc will stick the needle and seat open. You could also try tapping on the carb with a large screwdriver handle...sometimes that will dislodge the dirt.
Hope this helps,

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 01:07 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I agree with Bill, sounds like a stuck needle and seat to me... Another thought is too much fuel pressure??? But if your pump is stock I don't think that's the problem.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

Checked needle and seat, moves freely, seems clean. New filter should've caught any debris unless it came down thru the vent tube?

All I can think of now is the float is somehow malfunctioning. Thinking of pulling the fuel bowl as a next step. Doesn't look like rocket science, just four screws. Sure learning a lot about Holleys today. Plus, I can bench-set the float level before putting it back on. Not sure how to drain it first though...

Any other suggestions? Is there anything float-related on the choke side of the carb I might've screwed up while adjusting the choke and fast idle cam mechanism?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 03:33 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Denis - If the carb is still on the car cut the top off a coke can (beer comes in bottles, right?) or water bottle so it will fit under one of the bottom float bowl bolts. Then loosen that bolt and let the bowl drain into the can.

Download the "Carburetor Rebuild and Adjustment Manual" holley has at http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSer...o/FMCTech.html get the word doc as it has more info than the html version they offer. It will help with many adjustments... Also search on "holley" in the performance forum, there's a bunch posted that may help you.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

I think I found the problem. [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img]

I pulled the float out and I can hear the liquid sloshing around inside it--must be a tiny pinsized hole that's slowly been allowing fuel in since we first fired the engine last weekend. By today, it was full enough that the "float don't float", preventing the needle from ever seating.

So where can I find a new float assembly? Do I have to order direct from Holley or do places like NAPA carry this stuff?

Whew! Time for a beer.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 04:32 PM
Bill

dj,
Thats pretty rare on a Holley ! Any local speed shop should be able to get you a Holley float. I would stay away from the ones that the normal parts stores sell, they never seem to be quite correct.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

I just remembered I had an old beater Holley lying around. Different series but when I checked the part #'s, the float bowls were the same. So I put the new float bowl on (from the beater carb) and problem solved!

Now, where did I put that beer? Oh, here it is. Hmmmm, good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode