Headers & Exhaust - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

Anyone have recommendations on a specific brand/model of coated header that will fit/clear in a 69 camaro convertible with a 350 and power steering? Do the collectors pose a ground clearance issue? I have seen quite a few people with "tape or patches" on their headers because they hung too low and hit the ground after a bump.

Also there are several different dual exhaust configurations.....I know that my pipes will need to route through the floor brace...Do the mufflers usually end up mounted in front of the differential? I'm not sure of how the exhaust system should be routed or if it should have an x pipe or and h pipe and I'm not sure that they average muffler shop is going to know the best(or correct) exhaust configuration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 04:34 AM
Senior Tech

For the money I recommend DYNOMAX CERAMIC coat they fit great on my 69 w/ ps and 4 spd. they have a couple hard to reach plugs but they fit the car great and havent dragged once on my car and they are alot cheaper than most others they have 1 year on them and still look new.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 05:25 AM

Paulm, I run the Dynomax coated headers on my 69. It's a 4spd with PS. I have a pic of the motor with the headers on the stand in the links on my signature. 3dude is right, a couple of the plugs are a little tough to get to, and I've yet to drag the headers.

------------------
My 69SS

Better pics here

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

How do those dynomax headers seal? No leaks? I've heard that some people cut the flanges between the end tubes and the middle tubes for a better seal.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
69protouring, thats one sweet car, and the engine looks great! i love that "top shot" no idea how you did it (stand on your roof?) but it looks good.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 08:34 AM

Paul, I did blow one exhaust gasket last year, but that's because I lost a flange bolt. I just ordered a set of the Stage 8 locking header bolts. They look like they should work great. I also bought them because the bolts are also allen heads, it will be a lot easier to get at the rear bolts.

CamaroNOTCamero, thanks, I saw an overhead shot like that of the Hotchkis F-71. I thought it was kick ***, so I tried it from the roof of the garage. The neighbors had to have thought I was nuts. haha I'll have to see if I can figure out how to take a shot like that while doing a burnout with the smoke rolling. Now that would be cool...

------------------
My 69SS

Better pics here
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 01:28 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

I tried the Dynomax and was severely disappointed. I returned them and replaced them with Hooker Competition series. I love them and they fit great. They are now about 3 years old and still look like new. The recent consesous(sp?) lately, because of price increases, is to buy standard coat headers and have them coated by an outside supplier.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 08:31 PM
Senior Tech

i HAD the dynomax ceramic headers, but took them off after i bent one on a pipe sticking out of the ground. when i removed them, i found that the bottom half of the headers have almost no coating left on them. they fit great, and never hit the ground (until i found that pipe..oops.) i didn't have really any problems with sparkplug clearance on my Vortec heads...but my pretty coating fell off, and after only 2 years, which was 1 year after the warranty expired on them.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 07:15 PM
Senior Tech
Ray

The Dynomax coated headers have a lifetime warranty, not a one year warranty. I sent mine back to Summit after 4 years because some of the coating had flaked off and they replaced them no questions asked, even with severe scrapping on the drivers side header. (Actually, they would have given me a credit I could have used for any other headers or any other parts, but I got the same ones again.)
They fit well, but the drivers side does hang down too far if your car is lowered. On my car, the drivers side header hung down 1.25 inches more than the passengers side and always scrapped the ground after lowering the car. On the new set, I cut all the tubes on the drivers side and had them welded back together so it hung the same amount as the passengers side. A lot of extra work, but now they don't scrap.
I couldn't believe Dynomax designed them with that big a difference in the two sides, or maybe something is just weird about my engine mounts or something.

Ray
http://www.geocities.com/hrayhouston/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode