Need help setting up the idle on this 294s - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 03, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Got the cam good and broke in, started trying to get it to idle. With the 750 edelbrock, I have to use a TON of idle screw to get it to idle, no matter what the timing is set at. The idle mix screws do not function with the throttle blades open this far, so it idles like crap with about 6-8" vacuum at about 1000 rpms. The edelbrock carb has no provisions to crack open the secondaries to let some air in. Does a 1850 holley 600 have provisions to open the secondaries any? I have a good one, just haven't removed it from the engine it is on yet. I guess I will need to drill the primary throttle blades so the idle screw can be turned down enough for the idle mix screws to function?

I had this same problem on the much tamer 350 in my truck with this carb...lots of idle screw to get a decent idle.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 03, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

yes the holley 600 vac sec has a flat bladed set screw that can be accessed from the bottom side of the baseplate. It is on the same side as the sec vac canister. Turn the screw clockwise until you just begin to see the transfer slots on thesecondary side of the baseplate. Turn down the main idle screw so that no more than 1/32" of transfer slot shows below the primary plates. Set the mixture screws 1/4 turn out from lightly seated. Once car is started adjust mixture screws then idle screw. If more air is needed turn the sec idle screw using a small screwdriver. As for the edelbrock, call their 800 number and ask for Smitty in tech he can help you from there.

'68 Camaro SS. Dealer for American made performance & restoration parts.
Check my site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 03, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

On the Edelbrock carb, you will see a slot for the secondary linkage slides in on the secondary shaft. You can place a small screw and nut and use same to slightly open the sec blades to provide a bypass. This linkage is also used to pull open the sec's at WOT, after 75% primary angle. This WOT will not be affected.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 03, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

You will need a little more "idle screw" with a tight engine. When the bottom end loosens up you will be able to back it off some. In fact, that is how I tell when my engine is more-less broke in - when the idle speed starts creeping up.

Don't know of any specifics to help with the Edelbrock carb, but both my Holley and Speed Demon will idle at 850 in gear. Without the MSD 6AL, 900 in gear. 7-8" of vacuum in gear - I run a 4.5 power valve, a stock 6.5 PV starts to crack open when idling in gear.

Sounds like you need more base timing. I'm thinking 14-16* base with 34 total in by 2600 would be about ideal for your combo. You might get away with running manifold vac advance to temporarily help the idle situation, but I have found that setup to be prone to stalling when stopping at a light.

PS. Could you have a vac leak? Modulator on trans? power brake booster? PCV line? Carb Gasket? Extra port on carb? Manifold gasket

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 03, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

This thing doesn't need just a little extra idle screw...it needs a bunch. I have run the timing up as far as 20* initial...it didn't help. Not much chance of a vac leak...I have everything plugged off to take everything else out of the equation. I am going to re-lash the valves tomorrow and throw in a fresh set of plugs, plus try Everetts nut/bolt in the secondary linkage trick. I also think part of the problem may be the distributor. I had bought a MSD pro-billet HEI for it a long time ago and ended up putting it on my truck. I like it so much on the truck I hate to remove it, so I used my old summit HEI on the 388. The MSD made quite an improvement over the summit unit in the trucks idle quality and throttle response. I guess I'll swap distributors tomorrow too, if all else fails.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 03, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Well, here's what I ended up with. I relashed the valves (a real PITA with the valve covers I am using), installed a fresh set of autolite 26 plugs, swapped the summit HEI for the msd HEI, swapped the stock step up spring int he 750 edelbrock for a 4" spring (same function as a power valve on a holley), set the timing at 16* initial, 36* total all in by 2800, and run manifold vac to the vac advance. I am now pulling 11" vac at a 950 rpm idle, no plug fouling, and a healthy sounding idle with crisp response from right off idle on up. I think I got it I may need to change the advance stop bushings if the engine doesn't like 36* total. Got the oil/filter changes, got the little water leak stopped in the pass. side head, and got a new tranny dipstick and got it to seal and stopped that leak. I've to finish the brakes, finish installing the shifter, and add rear shocks, and then it's driving time

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 03, 03:22 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Well whatcha waitin' for . . .

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric68:
Well whatcha waitin' for . . .
Just waiting for this crappy weather to break a bit. The last few days it has been very low 40's and rainy. Plus trying to finish up some outside projects before winter gets here. Plus trying to get this )*(^%&* daily driver fixed once and for all. Plus etc, etc I need about 3 more of me to get all this stuff finished

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 03:41 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

You think your weather is crappy . . . we had snow here yesterday it didn't stick or anything, but for cryin' out loud it's barely October - and there's still 3 races left !!!! I think I'll send a nasty email to the weatherman - it's his fault after all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode