700r4 to rearend matching - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Is the gearing from a 1800 lockup converter ,in my 700r4, killing my powerband with 3.08s in the rear?

I have a 67rs 327 4bll carb, headers, performer intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by goatjj:
Is the gearing from a 1800 lockup converter ,in my 700r4, killing my powerband with 3.08s in the rear?

I have a 67rs 327 4bll carb, headers, performer intake.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on your camshaft. You should probably ask the company you bought the cam from. That combination will work fine (but could be better) if your cam is stock.

I'm running an Edelbrock Performer RPM cam and my stock 700R4 converter with 4:10 is a real dog. I need to step up to about a 2400 RPM stall because the cam doesn't make much power until almost 2000 RPM.

-dnult
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The cam has 447"lift and doesn't come in untill 2200 rpm. should I swap for a 2200 stall converter?
Whould it make that much difference?

------------------
Blue 1967 327 RS softtop
www.angelfire.com/ca7/goatjjcamarors/index.html

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 02, 02:02 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by goatjj:
The cam has 447"lift and doesn't come in untill 2200 rpm. should I swap for a 2200 stall converter?
Whould it make that much difference?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might get buy with 2200. Are you wanting to drag race or cruise main? What is your highway cruise RPM? You might want to go more like 2400 or 2500. If your all out racing, 3000 might be more like it. Keep in mind that many of the 'high stall' converters don't have lockup in which case you'd be advised to do some minor modifications to your transmission. Call your cam vendor and ask thier opinion since they probably deal with these issues all the time and have a better idea of how the cam performs.

-dnult
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 02, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The car is all street.

I want to make sure my camaro is not hurting from the present combination of components.

67 327 462 heads
Blueprint 327/350 cam 447"lift
3.08 open 10bolt
700r4 1800rpm lockup
Edelbrock 600 performer intake
Afterburner headers 1.5/8
Duel exaust Magna flow

Please feel free to give me some ideas on how to improve on it.

------------------
Blue 1967 327 RS softtop
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 02, 07:59 PM
Senior Tech

I have a 700R4 w/2200 stall & the engine has orig. cast iron intake, orig. carb, dist, etc. but orig. double hump heads have been redone with 2.02 valves & headers. I use a CompCams Xtreme Energy Grind# XE262H, .462/.469 lift. I have 3.55 rear gears. This combo will rip your head off (for a 90% factory motor). My engine builder told me I *had to* run a higher stall convertor. A 700R4 1st gear w/ 3.08 rear is equivilent to a Turbo 350 1st gear w/ 3.73 rear so, it should pull like it. If not, the convertor could be the issue. There may be another problem - does the tranny feel like its slipping? If the engine revs fine, but the car itself is slow off the line, you could have a pressure problem from an incorrect adjustment of the TV cable (common). The slipping in first will eat your tranny alive in no time if not adjusted properly. Hope some of this helps.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 02, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

When i first got the tranny installed from the shop, They had installed the tv housing upside down and the tranny would not shift out of first gear.

I reset the tv housing and cable to spec(angle and pull)
The car runs well, but it has allways had a 2nd to 3rd gear problem. I have to let off the gas inorder for it to shift into 3rd.
I thought this might of been caused by my 3.08 rearend, but now I'm worried its an internal tranny problem.

I'm going to play with the tv again to see if a more aggresive angle from tv housing to carb linkage would help.

The shop I had it installed at, had no clue how to hook up the tv from a powerglide linkage.

I wish they had the balls to tell me before the fact. Now I don't trust them to touch the car again.

I've checked the fluid and its clean, so I'm thinking the clutches are not getting burned.

Should I have the power to burn of the line?
Right now I can't. Is that a sign my tranny is not engaging completly?

I'm starting to worry!

------------------
Blue 1967 327 RS softtop
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 02, 09:47 PM
Senior Tech

Depending on the carb you're running, there is a company that makes the whole process a million times easier. Go to www.tvmadeez.com (TV made easy). These guys can help. Even if your carb isn't listed, call them anyway - they've always been helpful for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode