NEED INFO ON HEADS (CAMEL HUMP?) - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

I have a set of heads that a buddy gave to me. Can u decode them for me?

The numbers on the heads are #3782461 w/the #64 stamped just above the 3 and 7. on both heads on the left side (looking down at the head horizontally)

Center of head the is GM w/13 stamped below it.

Right side of 1st head is stamped #L23 w/13 stamped below it. 2nd head right side is #K293.

I am told these are camel hump heads. What exactly is a camel hump head and what is special of rare about them and why are they a rare to find or one of many choice sets to have?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 11:08 PM

MY DAD GOTS SOME OF THEM ON HIS 383 AND IT RUNS A 13.8 WITH NO CAM AT ALL SO THEY MUST BE PRETTY GOOD , HIS HEADS JUST HAVE 2 BUMPS RIGHT ON THE FRONT OF EACH HEAD SHOULD HAVE 2 ARCS DUNNO VALVES SIZES NO TELLIN THOSE HEADS ARE OLD BUT PRETTY GOOD.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 11:09 PM
Senior Tech

327 head's used 1964-1966 62cc chamber.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 03:28 AM
Senior Tech

Camel Hump heads are the term used to describe the early small block performance heads offered by Chevrolet and were commonly found on fuelie Corvettes and LT-1 motors. The Camel Hump is the description on the casting marks on either end of the head. You look on the ends you will see what looks like 2 humps. Good set of heads for a performance motor with good flow and large valves. Used in most solid lifter applications at GM......

------------------
'69 SS 396/375hp L78 M21 3.73 Fathom green/medium green interior

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...695&p=33013081
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 04:32 AM
Senior Tech

# 461 heads were used from ' 62-66, and then changed over to # 462 heads mid year 1966. They were used on a few 250 hp. engines, but mostly 275-300-350-365-375 hp. engines. The 300 hp. and lower engines had 1.94/1.5 valves, and the ones above 300hp. had 2.02/1.6 valves. They flowed around 160cc., except for the X versions, which flowed around 175cc., and they all had 62-64 cc. combustion chambers. From a performance state, if they are good, use them, but if they need much work at all, you are better off buying a aftermarket set, and selling these to a restorer. They will bring anywhere from $100- up , depending on condition, and market. I've seen good ones priced at $700+.

------------------
Many Used Parts for Chevelles, and Camaros- Just ask!
Team Chevelle Tag Team Moderator
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech

Good performance heads of the 60s. Yours are from November 1963. Drawbacks today are no accessory holes on head ends, no hardened seats, most likely worn out guides. Should take them apart and have a good look at seats and valve faces, check the guide wear, look for cracks between valves. Might be pretty decent heads still, but they don't have a lot of value these days.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 04:49 PM

Smile

My -461's are 66 cc's, 2.02"/1.60" and factory relieved around the intake valves. pdq67

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 05:18 PM
Senior Tech

They are also called double hump heads. They do ok for street applications, and even mild performance stuff. But for the serious racer, they are not too hot. My dad pory, polished, put big valves in, and bronze guides. Took about two weeks. Put them on a 415 with 13.1 compression. Made 450 hp, and 400 lbs torque. Plus the cracked in the water jacket on the dyno. So we bought a set of Dart Iron Eagles polished them up a little bit put them on. Motor made 660 hp and 600 lb torque. They are a bit more expensive, but they make a lot more power than double humps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode