Pre-loading lifters - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 01, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Question

Anyone out there have an answer to this: How do you pre-load new roller lifters in a new (rebuilt) motor? Did a search with no results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 01, 04:53 PM
Bill

Ken,
I am not certain exactly what you are asking ??? If you are referring to adjusting the valves, it is no different than any other hydraulic cam, assuming you are talking about a hydraulic roller. If youa re not familiar with the process, I would suggest the book "How to rebuild your Small Block Chevy" it is very thourough in all of the adjustments.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 01, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

No I'm not talking about valve adjustment..or rather, I am, but am referring to new lifters. I read somewhere that the lifters have to be pumped up with oil before the initial adjustment can be made.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 01, 09:28 AM
Tech Team

Question

if i get you right, pumping them up happens when you start the engine the first time. there will be alot of valve noise for a few minutes and then as they get "pumped" up then you make the adjustments.

nate
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 01, 03:11 PM
Bill

Ken,
It is not neccessary to pump up the lifters. If you preoil the motor, like you should, before you start it they will get plenty of oil. Most of the new lifter boxes I have seen lately actually tell you not to pump them up. The reason is that they could conceivably hold a valve open when you first start the motor.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 01, 05:31 PM

Question

Don't you just use a prelube tool and a half inch drill and run it until oil comes out the rocker arm holes?? pdq67

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 01, 03:28 AM
Tech Team

that's what i thought too, pdq! but a few mechanics i've talked to say it's not adviseable(ms)to pre pump the oil pump. it could hang up a valve.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 01, 02:56 PM

Question

How the heck can you hang up a valve with the oil relieving itself up the pushrod??? pdq67

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 01, 02:57 PM

Wink

Back again!! Maybe that mechanic doesn't have a pre-lube tool??? pdq67

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 07:22 AM
Tech Team

that was my question to them, but they didn't really have the answer. i'm just like you i always turn the oil pump to get oil pumped through out the engine. but?????? be talking later, scott
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 03:48 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Cool

That must be the mechanic that replaces newly rebuilt engines every 2,500 miles or so.

OOOHHHH no it was'nt my fault, the engine must have been defective. I can get you another one and install it for the same price as the last one. Don't worry the engine is under warranty sir so all it will cost is you is labor again.

Boy what a racket some people have, then they try and convince others to do it like they do!!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 05:01 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

A little late getting in on this one, but thought I'd try to help. When talking about preload you're talking about how much past zero lash you are adjusting your hydraulic lifters (roller or flat). Usually preload should be 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn on the adjusting nut past zero lash. Zero lash can be found by twirling the pushrod with one hand (easiest to do before you put on the intake manifold) and slowly tightening the rocker nut with the other - when a very slight resistance to the twisting is felt, that's zero lash. As for prelubing your lifters, just give them a good coating of the assembly lube that should come with them and pour a little oil over the top before you put the pushrods in. My Comp Cams instructions specifically said not to "pump up" the lifters before installation (that's different than prelubing an engine with a drill). I would highly recommend prelubing every new engine with a drill before firing it up the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode