SMOKE-signals... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 05, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
robert

i noticed that my new 355 is smoking pure white smoke out of both my side-pipes(with mufflers).

I also noticed a little oil in my coolant.

So the first thing that came into my mind, was HEADGASKETS. But BOTH???

Both of the exhausts are smoking the same amount, AND when i shut the engine of and look at the end of my pipes, i can see water dripping out!

Is it just because of the weather (rainy for weeks and no heated garage) or is it leaking so much water it literally spits water out?

As far as i remember, the radiator is still filled to the max.
The oil looks okay.(no milky substance)

So what you experts say about this?? replace all the head- and intake gaskets anyway? And check the heads for flatness???

thanks

Z28 1984
'77 355ci/COMP cam 218/224 .464/.470 114 LSA
rollerrockers1.5/9.72 forged pistons
ported '66 461 heads 1.94,1.5/Flowtech shorty headers
edelbrock 600/performer rpm intake
th350/shiftkit/hughes2500stall
4th gen 3.23 10 bolt POSI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 05, 12:42 PM
a67

For every pound of fuel burned a pound of water comes out the exhaust. On cold starts after a minute of running there are puddles under the pipe exits. Not unusual at all.

Bob.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 05, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech

If you are burning coolant, a local auto-shop should have a tool to "sniff" the anti-freeze for hydrocarbons. A67 is correct - some is normal. I'll bet its colder than a castiron commode up there in the Netherlands. Near 0* C, the cloud of white fog can get pretty big. But it should die down considerably as the exhaust system heats up.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

" I also noticed a little oil in my coolant." This is the only part that concerns me. Where did you see the oil in your coolant.
Is there a sweet smell to there white smoke or is it just like regular exhaust condensation?

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 12:03 PM

My guess is intake gasket, if it runs ok, just with the smoke.

a head gasket would make it run like pure crap
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 05, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I also have a tiny bit of oil in my coolant, but it's because I didn't completely clean the funnel before I used it to fill the radiator. Could this explain yours too?

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 05, 11:06 PM
Senior Tech

Coolant in your oil would lead me to suspect a couple things but most likely a head gasket , no keep this in mind Chevy changed heady in the late 70's early 80's if im not mistaken, they called the new heads light weight and there are 2 different gaskets for those heads , Make sure you have the right ones before thinking tou have a cracked head or block.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 06:12 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

Ok my 2 cents Head gaskets usually = compression drop. Check compression. Intake manifold gaskets of course never = compression drop. How much oil in coolant are we talking about is the coolant a nice milky color? Maybe change coolant out and see if it happens again if all u see is a bit of oil ... what can that hurt? It's easy and costs little. Is the oil level noticably lower are you adding more oil than normal? Let's try to rule out the easy stuff before we go hard core and start rippin heads off!

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
robert

very little oil in coolant and it doesnt seem to have water in the oil.

ill retorque the headbolts and see.

i did a compression check and it seemed pretty low, but it was about the same at all cylinders. so i quess its supposed to be.

Z28 1984
'77 355ci/COMP cam 218/224 .464/.470 114 LSA
rollerrockers1.5/9.72 forged pistons
ported '66 461 heads 1.94,1.5/Flowtech shorty headers
edelbrock 600/performer rpm intake
th350/shiftkit/hughes2500stall
4th gen 3.23 10 bolt POSI.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 05, 11:25 AM

Take a drip from that tailpipe on your finger and dab it on your tongue. If there's coolant in the condensate, you'll taste it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 05, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

Quote:
Originally posted by sicsD8:
Take a drip from that tailpipe on your finger and dab it on your tongue. If there's coolant in the condensate, you'll taste it.
this is true antifreeze has that wonderful sweet taste that kills all those kitty cats... low compression and your engine is new??? that can't be good .. what is low?

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 05, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Oil sytem is under more pressure than the cooling system. Possible leak or crack in a oil vain in the block that goes by a water jacket? It is possible for it to leak one way but after shutting down the engine and not having oil pressure the water could leak into the oil unless it takes the 40-60 PSI of oil pressure to leak into the cooling system.

You can check for head gasket leaks with a tool that holds a fluid and when it's placed over the radiator were the radiator cap goes the fluid changes color if hydrocarbons are present from combustion: IE blown head gasket or cracked head.

Food for thought.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode