How to make it roll? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 04, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dylan

Send a message via AIM to bullitt07 Send a message via Yahoo to bullitt07
I'm making the switch to a 406sb and I think I want to convert it to a roller cam and grab that extra hp. What are the positives and negatives of doing this. For the time being I want to stay with the vortec heads if possible. What do I need to make this conversion and about what would it cost. Going to send the heads to motor builder to get some new higher lift springs so I can run a bigger cam. What do you guys recommend. Thanks a bunch!

1967 Camaro RS
#'s Matching 327-210 HP
Holley 700 Double-Pumper
Polished Air-Gap RPM Manifold
1.94"/1.5" Vortec Heads
6-Speed Viper T56
3.73 10-Bolt Posi
and bald rear tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 04, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dylan

Unhappy

Nothing guys? Anymore info I can give or am I beating a dead horse?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 04, 04:05 AM

cam should run smoother, able to choose a higher lift profile with roller, will last longer too and of course more HP
will need new distributor gear-bronze, unless cam has hardened gear, roller lifters, modify intake area for lifter tray bolted to block,
should get roller rockers also, new high lift springs, lightweight retainers and keys, make sure you have threaded studs, not press in type, probably do with vortec heads already,new pushrods
may need new valve covers to clear the roller rockers if a larger ratio is chosen.
Alot of work and $$
do you really need this extra HP??
I wouldnt do unless I had to replace all these parts anyway like motor needs rebuilding or motor apart for something else.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 04, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

To me one of the biggest advantages was NO chance of losing a lobe on break in! Been there, done that, never going back.

A roller tappet allows for a much more aggressive valve opening rate. This equates to more lift for the same duration and more area "under the curve". All of this means more power.

Going roller in an old block isn't cheap. My complete kit from Comp was $777 but if it's in the budget it is a great way to go.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 04, 11:41 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
roller cam+ retro-fit roller lifters+ miscellaneous "stuff" =$750ish(off top of my head)

Standard (k-kit)cam package about $300ish

I like the roller stuff ,but if money is an issue... your choice.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 04, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

If you're going to spend alot of time above 5500RPM (say, a 6500-7000 redline), then a roller cam isn't cost effective. A good solid cam can make almost as much power as a roller under 6000RPM. I think the money is better spent somewhere else.

I'm assuming you want a street motor. Hyd roller lifters are heavy, and typically don't like to rev high. Keep in mind, floating the valves will beat the roller bearings to death real quick.

Vortec heads don't flow much above .500", and this is where roller cams really shine. Lifting the valves past this amount (which almost all rollers will), is a waste of energy. All this will lead to is more heat and wear, and less reliability.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 04, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I agree with Matt. Keep the lift under 0.500" with those heads. Any more than that and they will stall and the swirl goes away.

In that light, if you go roller, either choose an off-the-shelf cam with lift figures under 0.500" or have a custom cam ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 04, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dylan

Question

Hmm... So saying I have 406sb with the vortec heads worked over with new springs, etc. What are you cam/lifter recommendations. $700 is not necessarily out of my price range so its still a possibility. I'm looking for 400+ hp out of this combo while still being fairly streetable and hit its hp peak around 57-5800rpm and roller lifters seemed an easier way to do it without putting too big a cam in there. Thoughts?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 04, 11:13 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
bullitt,
I have a 406SBC with ported and polished stock heads<1.94 I /1.6 E> and 2.73's<-not a typo> and run 13.5-7's on street radials. With better gears it should see low to mid 12's easy. My cam is not really that big <280H CompCam>.486 lift at the valve. Very streetable.

Buddy just put a 383SBC together with 10:1 compression and Vortec heads<mild Hyd.cam>a 3.08 open rear on radials ,and ran a [email protected] first pass.

Both of these motors are 400est. horsepower.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 04, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

i run a solid roller in my 406, and have been a long time advocate of them. yes, even in a street strip, street driven car. mine is. they can and do work awesome. also, i think greg o's description sums it up quite well. you also do gotta love the "break in" or lack there of.
with that said, however, imo with your goal, just get a decent flat tappet solid cam. get something that may seem slightly larger than you would want for say a 350, 400's will tame down a cam with thier cubic inches. your rpm range and hp goal will require just a decent solid ft cam. (hell, even a hyd. ft would do really)
if you do want to go solid roller, the first thing i'd do is step up with your heads. get some larger, good flowing ones of choice, then go solid roller. that way you'll be getting some use out of the benefits a solid roller will give.
good luck with it, and you will LOVE the 406 [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode