vortec head question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chuck

i have a set of vortec heads that i am looking to put on my car in place of my 186's, but am trying to figure out if the performance gain is worth the price of springs and machine work to the heads. i have a 274xe comp cam and the casting on the vortecs is 125128062. are these good vortecs? i got the set plus a aluminum intake for 125. the heads were only used on a fan boat for 3 hours before they yanked them in place of a set of afr's. with porting, what are the flow possibilities of these heads. also does anyone know the intake volume on these and the chamber size? will this be worth the hassle on a 360 w/ 9.85 trw pistons the 274 cam and 1 and 5/8 headers, tremec and 3.5 ford 9".

67 rs/ss
381 sbc 11:1 AFR Heads Holley 950 EFI
DSE Quadralink

"From what I have replaced in pursuit of more, I could have built another one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Intake volume is 170cc, and chamber is 64cc.

What machine work do you need done to them? Hard to say if it's worth it without knowing how much you're gonna pay for the work. New heads can be had for $440. Don't forget the self aligning rockers.

With porting, which they don't need much, they can flow quite a bit. Already, they can support around 400ci for a torque motor, and they'll make excellent power to 6500RPM on a 350. If you go all-out on porting these heads, they're junk. You need to do minimal work on the ports to keep the swirl effects intact.

Are they worth it, oh yeah! Especially for the price you got them for. You should be around 400HP with that cam and compression.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech

I agree with Silver 100%. You have a few options on the heads. You can purchase a tool from comp cams for about $40 that will cut the valve guide down (the guide is the problem with increased lift) and at the same time thin the guide down a bit. Then, use the recommended comp 981-16 springs, retainers, and locks, and your set. Or, don't machine anything, get the right springs and locks, and get a set of +.050 crane (or anybodys, but comp doesn't make them) 7* locks and put a .045 shim under each spring. Viola, .500+ lift capacity and no machine work, and you still have the right spring pressure. Or, if you don't already have a cam, but like the specs of the xe274, then get a lunati 230/[email protected], .468/.468 lift, 110/106 cam (don't have my catalog with me at work for a part number), use the comp 981-16 springs, and matching locks and retainers. Of course, the proper way would be screw in studs, guideplates, non-guided rockers, machined guides for more clearance, etc. There are a lot of ways around the lift limits of vortec heads. As far as being worth it, absolutely [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chuck

i can get them to flow 260 cfm on the intake and have the guides and seats machined for bigger springs, plus the studs put in for $200. do you guys think that this is too much flow. i wanted something comparable to an afr @.500 lift. is this the way to go. the guy doing the work for me is a friend at my local machine shop. (Folks Machine...way overpriced for most stuff) they build all the engines for drag racing around here and stand behind their work. he said that they usually charge around 800 for what he is going to do. by the way, like i said the heads are brand new. with the increased flow can i see more of a hp gain? and i do already have the cam. i want 415+ hp. is this possible with the cam and 260cfm flow after porting?

Thanks,
chuck
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chuck

oh yeah,

the guy doing the work is supposed to be the best in the state at what he does. which is why everyone around here who wants quality work goes to them. and if they mess the head up, they replace it most of the time. so i dont think he will do more porting than i need.

chuck

67 rs/ss
381 sbc 11:1 AFR Heads Holley 950 EFI
DSE Quadralink

"From what I have replaced in pursuit of more, I could have built another one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode