My belts are flying off,Help Please - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 02, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hello guys, I have just finished my 83 Z28. 305,port polish intake,headers cam flat top pistons,3.42 rearend. If I just cruise around, its fine. If I goose it off the lights, I loose the crank,powersteering fan, and ac belt and also the alt,crank and fan belt. Sometimes the ac belt twists and stays on ,but the alt belt always comes off . Belt replacement is getting expensive,any ideas?? Thanks Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 02, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech

Check all the pulleys for alignment with each other.Also check to see if one of them is bent.If they are aligned right and the belts are tight they should stay on unless you are revving it 8000 rpm.If so you might try deep groove pulleys.

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
71 Nova
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 02, 02:15 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Line up your pulleys and get Top Cog belts. Most parts stores sell them, just ask. They are much better than standard for high rpm,but it sounds like you have alignment issues to deal with first.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi ( 454 now)
94 HD Dyna Wideglide

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 02, 09:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Top Cog huh? Never heard of em. I was having same problem with my alt belt on my 357 when I nail it hard. Pulley alignment checked out OK. I was told to try Gates. So far that hasn't come off but I haven't got after it much since I put it on. If it comes off I'll try the Top Cog.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 02, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Look at the angle of the pulleys too. They may look like they're all in line but the pulley could have a slight angle to it.

Also, look at alignment when you rev the engine. Sometimes brackets will flex and you can only see it when the engine gets rev'd.

Alternator brackets with the long style pump are notorious for throwing belts IMO. The top bracket is easy to get out of alignment for some reason.

Just my opinion.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 02, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey guys thanks for the help, I just got a new set of gates belts today. See if they are any better then Dayco. I do think I have an alignment problem with my power steering pump. Im trying to figure it out, its just a trial and error thing I guess, The longer I stare at the pullys and the belts, the more they play tricks with my eyes. I wont give up!! Thanks Bob...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode