700r slipping - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a '84 chevy s-10 with a 3.4 and 700r4 tranny. I am getting ready to put a 327 in in about a month so i really dont want to have to service my tranny unless necesarry, cause i have to have a differnt one for the other motor. It had been slipping out of OD for about a month or so, "i think the roller clutches were going" But today, it has been ticking when in park. It goes away once you are in drive. But if you get on it too hard it will fly out of 3rd and you have to let off the gas. As soon as you do it goes back in. Will i be able to baby it for another month or so or does this baby need overhauled?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Also, i may switch out my auto tranny for a 5 speed. I dont know if anyone knows, but would i have to get a differnt transfer case?

Or would i be better off with a 200r? What is the rap on them? Beter than the 7oo as far as durability? What about cost? And bolt patterns? hookups? Are they hydralic shifts?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 07:52 PM
WE4
Tech Team

First of all roller clutch isn't in 4th. second.... I think your converter neck is cracked and or the flexplate. That is the noise or tick you described. Also cracked vein ring in pump is possible. When this occurs it goes low on line pressure hence the slipping.
Hope this helps and 2004r is the way to go. That didn't sound too bias, did it? LOL LOL LOL
Thanks
Bruce
WE4

------------------
Thank You
WE4
Bruce Toelle
Performance Transmissions
"WE GOT THE 2004R PARTS!" www.ptsnctb.com
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by WE4 (edited 01-03-2001).]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 03:48 PM
Team Member

Double check , But I think the 3.4l is a 2.8l replacement. This has a different mounting flange than the 327 V8 and you will need a different trans anyway.

TTFN
Mat
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Pretty close Mat. Actually my 3.4 was my own invention. I took a lumina z-34 bottom end and bored out a 2.8 block so the pistons would fit. hen put 2.8 heads a.s a holley 390 4 barrel carb on top. I was hoping to get more umph out of it thean the 2.8 and i did. But after putting on 309.50 Bfg's on it kinda zapped the power out of it. So i decided it would be a good project to put a 327 in it. I am pretty sure it takes a differnt tranny for the v-8 but i wasnt wanting to rebuild mine now and then have to buy another one later for the 327. But, it looks like i'll have to anyway. Such is my luck
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 07:31 PM

Sounds like a fun project. The 327 won't bolt to your old tranny, the bolt pattern on the 2.8 is much narrower. If it's a stick you can get a different bell housing but the input shafts for the V-6's are much smaller than there V-8 counterparts and are prone to breaking under the greater power. An automatic 700-R4 is the way to go anyway. Check out JTR, they make a book for that conversion. They've been doing it for almost twenty years now and have it down to a science. You might want to think about changing out your 7.5 inch rear end also. Its only good for about two burn offs with a posi and 300hp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode