Oil consumption getting worse - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 03, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

I have a 400 sb and it is really starting to use alot of oil. I notice alot of blue on startup after it sits a few days and also started noticing that when I shift down when coming to a stop sign there is blue smoke coming mainly from the passenger side pipe. I removed the plugs and all are fouled but number 4 was the worst with alot of deposits inside. I scraped out the hard "carbon". I plan on pulling the motor this winter and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts. The other plugs were fouled like I said, but mainly brown on the tips.
Thanks
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 03:38 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Probably a good idea to pull it, you might want to do a compression test in the mean time too see if there is one or two cylinders that are a problem. I'd pull the heads and look at the top of the cylinder bore and check for a ridge, this will be a good indicator of what the wear is like --- the more of a ridge you have the more wear there is on the cylinder.

If the threads on the spark plugs are wet with oil this is usually an indication that the valve seals and/or guides are leaking oil but remember that is the guides are wore out the rest of the engine probably is too.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Well I was pretty sure the valve seals were dried out because the car sat in a guys garage for 13 yrs. He barely ever took it out during that time. I had done a compression test last fall and did not show anything wrong. I also am wondering if I am pulling it in though the intake manifold. Someone else suggested that might be the problem. And why is the major problem on #4?
Scott

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 05:33 AM
Retired
Jim

Scott I agree with the valve guide seals. I was blowing smoke on start up and leaving a mist of oil all around the rear spoiler from my exhaust. I used a quart of oil just driving 90 miles in July.
I had new seals installed and I went to Seattle and back using only 2 quarts in over 3000 miles. I have a small leak yet from one of the heads I think, but not enough to tear into now that I got the seals done.
Seals can be done with just valve covers off but if you are pulling the engine this winter, can you nurse it along till then when you can re-do everything? If not, it might cost around $250 in parts and labor to have new seals put in if you hire it all done.
good luck
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 03, 04:25 PM

Angry

I had same problem with SB 400 25 years ago and guy before had run car hot a time or two. Oil rings had colaspsed compression was fine but no oil control, Number 8 was my problem. Just a thought.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 03, 02:31 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

One or two cylinders could be worse than the others because at any point in the engine rotation at least a couple intake and exhaust valves are open. Those cylinders that were open to the atmosphere for 13 years will get rust on the cylinder walls from condensation, etc which causes pits and a poor ring seal - possibly your oil burning problem with #4.

Valve seals drying out will cause oil consumption, but if the oil seals are dried out your rear main seal, front main seal, gaskets, etc probably are too. 13 years is a long, long time for an engine to sit - that is why I agree with your plan to pull the engine and go through it. 400's are getting hard to find and can only be rebuilt a couple times so IMO it would be a good idea to go through your gem and make sure it is right.

Just my opinion.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 03, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

I just took it for a 100 mile round trip, used about a quart of oil. I noticed that when I would be in 4th gear and just let off the gas I could see blue smoke billowing out from the back of the car. Like I said, I am pulling it and going through it this winter, but just looking to see what people think it is.
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode