GM crate engine & fuel injection - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 01, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Question

I'm looking into buying a third gen. and was wondering if I could buy a GM engine such as the H.O. 350 and scrap enough parts off the old car to set it up w/the stock fuel injection. Would fuel injecion from a 305 work or would it have to be from a 350? Is any of this possible or am I just dreaming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 01, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech

GM makes a complete kit to replace the low Hp engines in the third gen. The motor is a ZZ4 (345hp) but the kit is only available for the carburetor model third gens. The latest Chevy High Perfromance Magazine has an article on this replacement.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 01, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech
John

If you used the HO 350/330horsepower, the vortec heads used on that engine wouldn't jive with your 305 fuel injection manifold.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 01, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech

if it is a TBI unit yes you could use it. GM just came out with a TBI vortec manifold. if it is TPI you are SOL, not gona work. till they make a manifold for the vortec head's.

to go from a 305 to a 350 you need to normaly get bigger injector's and up the fuel presure on the TBI. the TPI need's a new chip and maybe injector's.

what type of FI do you have? also the vortec head's do not have a EGR out let. you need to plumb one in from the header's or exaust manifold's.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 01, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

So if I'm going to be considering swapping from a 305 to 350 when I pick up a third gen, should I look for a carbureted or injected model? How do I know the difference between TBI and TPI? Anybody wanna buy my 86 camaro w/22k original miles? drawback is the v6,$4499 obb. Thanks a lot for the help so far guys.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 01, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech

TBI look's like a carb kinda, it has 2 fuel injector's in the midle. TPI well it look's hi-tech . good luck!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 01, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech

Look for a 3rd gen with a 350 already in it. If you can't find one don't wanna mess around then get the 305 TPI (1989 had a better computer, don't get an '85 though) and buy a 383 crate engine, port/polish the plenium on the TPI, buy an aftermarket base, get a 58mm throttle body and probly 24-28lb injectors, have one of the 3rd gen guys burn a custom chip, and tap it for n2o nossles on each port...and yes I've thought about it before.

If you do go with a HO 350 or a 383 go with a 90-92 TPI. It has speed density and not an MAF that can only run about 650cfm after modification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode