Hell-o and ............... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

.....I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before,but I've never gotten a straight answer. I plan on swapping out my stock rocker arms with some roller tip arms,and would like to know,#1 what kind would work with the stock valve covers,and#2 can I go to a 1.6ratio without head work. Now for the engine info,itis a '88 305TPI(auto) basicly stock with a few bolt-on goodies. I do plan on a cam swap down the road when I need to do a rebuild,but for now I'm useing the stock cam.

Thanks T. [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 07:20 PM
Senior Tech
robert

if im right, u always need tall covers for rollertips and 1.6 rockers is no problem.

Z28 1984
'77 355ci/COMP cam 218/224 .464/.470 114 LSA
rollerrockers1.5/9.72 forged pistons
ported '66 461 heads 1.94,1.5/Flowtech shorty headers
edelbrock 600/performer rpm intake
th350/shiftkit/hughes2500stall
4th gen 3.23 10 bolt POSI.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 09:12 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Full roller rocker require tall valve covers, Roller tip should fit under a short valve cover. The only way to know if 1.6 will be ok is to check for coil bind (I doubt there will be a problem). If you don't check and you do have a clearance issue it could get expensive. You would be smart to check for the proper clearance.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 09:51 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

as said, you should be fine with 1.6 rockers, but by all means check them. it's easy and saves you potential [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img] down the road. and actually, roller tips fit under factory covers, and so do full rollers. i'm running 1.6 full rollers and a cam with .600+ lift, all under factory Z28 type aluminum covers. i run a thick gasket for piece of mind, but don't think i need them really. you should be all good. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 03:22 AM
Senior Tech
John

I'm running full roller rockers under some Edelbrock Elite Series valve covers on my small block. No Problems.

John

- '68 Chevy Camaro (sort of done, but always subject to improvement)
- '63 Pontiac Tempest (work in progress)
- '72 Datsun 240-Z (back-burner for now)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 03:25 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

In addition for checking the springs, you also need to check for proper pushrod clearance through the hole in the head. There is a special alignment tool for drilling the hole larger if you need to. If the hole is too small the pushrod will bind and cause big-time trouble.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 06:09 AM

Angry

That little tool to increase the head P/R slot length is called a "Louis Tool" and I think CC as well as others sell it.

It is a "throwaway" drill bushing that fits in the slot so that you can use a lined up 5/16" drill bit in a hand drill to cut the slot longer..

This way you get away from machining costs to mount guideplates, and the cost of them and threaded studs too...

Just use 1/8" x 1" long roll pins and pin your studs if you feel you may have enough valve spring pressure to pull them in use -- sorta thing.............

pdq67

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech

I personally wouldn't recommend a 1.6 ratio on a stock motor. For one thing, the benefit with a stock head and cam is minimal. The extra valve lift won't counter the poor flow and other problems of a stock head. For another, stock valve springs aren't meant to handle the increased lift. Wait till you can afford some new heads or rework the ones you have before using 1.6 rockers IMHO. BTW: A friend of mine had his 87 TPI heads reworked for about 400. The intake and exhaust were enlarged (2.02 and 1.94 I think), the intake ports were gasket matched and bowl blended, the spring pockets were machined, press in studs installed along with heavier valve springs. Runs quite nice.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

1) "you also need to check for proper pushrod clearance through the hole in the head. There is a special alignment tool for drilling the hole larger if you need to. If the hole is too small the pushrod will bind and cause big-time trouble."

2) "I'm running full roller rockers under some Edelbrock Elite Series valve covers on my small block. No Problems."

3) "For one thing, the benefit with a stock head and cam is minimal. The extra valve lift won't counter the poor flow and other problems of a stock head. For another, stock valve springs aren't meant to handle the increased lift."

The louis tool I knew about,but some people say you don't need this,others say you do<and if I do that means tear-apart and i'm not ready to do this at this time.

Are your Edelbrocks center bolts? And are they the same size as stockers?

I know the benifits are going to be minimal with the stock heads,but as said plans are to change them a little later. If I change the springs when I change the rockers will this be ok?

If I stick to 1.5 rockers what are my options when I change heads,and or cam?

Thank for your answers these are the thing I want addressed. T. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 03, 09:17 AM

Cool

I have used a chainsaw file to lengthen p/r slots AND it isn't worth it so next time I WILL buy a Louis Tool!!!

Been there, done that....

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode