help with choosing cylinder heads! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 04, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

hi! i have 69 ss camaro with the original 350 cube in it. The heads that are in it now are the original 1.94 by 1.50. I want some really good new cast iron ones that are similar, but of course with the better technology of today(better flow etc.) So please...gimmee some brand names and models that will be good for my car. Also, i want to put an edelbrock intake, and carb on the heads.

'69 SS 350 Camaro (true X55)<br />350 turbo with shift kit<br />3.55 posi rear end<br />favorite Bible verse...all of 'em!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 04, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
As in your motor post.. What are the intenions with this motor.. Putting around ocaissionally spinning the tires, racing at the track ???
The head question is vague. What is the budget your looking to spend to build the motor up The heads you have now are more than likely still nice heads, Post the #'s inside by where #1 intake and exhaust valves are on drivers and by #8 on passenger.
Good and decent heads can vary in price from $5oo to $1200. But if your going to put about I'd stick with the heads you have, but have them machined out for 2.02 valves, ported and polished, replace the springs with something that will handle a .510 lift cam, toss in some roller rockers. The heads would be a world of difference at less the price, while still being origional to the car keeping the #'s matching game alive.

Edelbrock Rpm manifold is good, Personal experience says stay away from their carbs, but others stand by em. Toss on a pair of decent headers and you've woken up the motor big time.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 04, 04:41 AM

Welcome to Team Camaro! As Nantooch said, it's all about what your intentions (and budget) is for your car. There are a lot of variables that go into picking a set of cylinder heads.

In the entry level ($500.00 to $1,000) cast iron performance head market, you have names like the GM Vortecs, Dart Iron Eagles, Pro Toplines, and World SR Torquer's come to mind. And then there are aluminum heads....(Starting in the upper $900's range and up,up,up, [img]smile.gif[/img] ) There are pros and cons to each. For example, the GM Vortecs are an outstanding high performance and budget priced cylinder head. BUT, they require a special Vortec style intake manifold, center bolt valve covers, self aligning rocker arms and unless modified,can only handle about .465~.475" lift cams in stock form.

I personally will likely end up with a set of 180cc Dart Iron Eagles or 180cc Pro Toplines because they meet my performance goals, flow well, look basically stock, and are compatible with my stock A/C setup.

Just post what your goals and budget are, and the guys here can get you pointed in the right direction.

Good luck,
Mark P.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 06:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I'm running the Dart Iron Eagle 180's on my 327 now. I replaced a set of very tired 461's with these at the beginning of the year. I have about 3K miles on 'em now, and they are well worth the $900 or so invested!!

Very efficient, great power, absolutely "0" oil consumption, and no pinging on 93 octane at 10:1 compression. (don't know about lower octane fuel?? I'm too whimpy to try [img]redface.gif[/img] )

Paul D.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 09:29 AM

Paul D.

If you don't mind, what cam, intake and carb. are you running along with your IE180's on your 327?

Thanks,
Mark P.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 11:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Granny,

I'm running a Comp Cams 270S Magnum Solid, an Edelbrock Victor Jr #2999 w/1" taller plenum and a Holley 750 DP under a functional, sealed cowl induction hood. Ignition is all MSD with a 6AL box and Pro-billet distributor. Small 1-5/8" Hooker Comps. into a 2-1/2" Flowmaster Force II system.

The combo works pretty well from 2000-6200 RPM even though I know I have waaaay too much intake and carb. These are left overs from the engines previous incarnation when it had a 306S cam and a bit more compression. (the valve springs and bad machine work wasted my 461 heads!!)

The car is good for 12.9's in street trim, with verrrry sticky Yokohama A032R competition tires and 3.90 gears, and it definitely has more in it!!

Paul D.

68RS/Z28 Klone, Long rod 357 , T-56, 3.89 9"
Move with direction or lose your direction!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 04, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Try looking at the Dart Iron Eagle Platnum heads with 180cc runners and 64cc chambers. The new ones are supposed to flow a lot better than the old iron eagles.

If you think you might get bit by the horsepower bug and hot rod this thing a bit more down the road look into the same Dart heads only with 200 cc runners.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 04, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech

If it's an auto car with a stock convertor and rear end gears use the Vortecs. They are the best street head I have ever come across.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 04, 02:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I put Dart 180's on my 327 2 weeks ago, bought em good from a fello forum member (Thanks again, Mike!)Used the 74cc heads, with .020 shim gasket, calculator says 9:1. It'll ping on midgrade, not on premium. They run great!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode