327 engine water temp fittings - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi
I have a 327 engine in my camaro(275hp 4bbl) and i wonder where i can put in a watertemp sensor? There is nothing on the intake, but i saw a little "bolt" on the front of the engine, about where the water pump is. Can i use that hole for my watertemp sensor?

And where on the engine do i put the oilpreassure sensor?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by MagnusRS68 (edited 04-08-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech

I believe the temperature sender is suppose to go on the drivers side cylinder head between the front and center exhaust manifold exhaust ports. Check to see if there is a plug there now.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 02, 08:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

The temp sensor on the 67 was in the intake manifold to the passenger side of the thermostat housing on small blocks. It changed to the drivers side head location between cylinders 1 & 3 in 68. I have no idea what "little bolt hole" there is near the water pump in the front you could use for water temp. That little hole is probably the 1/8" npt fitting that is the optional location for an oil pressure tap.
The oil pressure sensor on your engine was in the rear of the engine on the block just behind the end of the intake manifold on the drivers side, it is also 1/8 npt.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks

I'll check for it later today, and probably take some pictures of it to make sure we are talking about the same holes.

Thanks again
Magnus www.hyperwerks.se/rally-sport
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 06:59 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

If the small hole in the front of the block is just above the timing cover, that is for oil, not water. If you are using a stock manifold I am pretty sure the sending unit should go on the passenger side in the front of the manifold next to the thermostat. If you are using an aftermarket manifold you can put it where ever you want. I personally like to run mine in the driver side cylinder head as mentioned above.

Royce

------------------
70 Camaro 385ci
69 Camaro (soon to be 6" rod 355 backed by a T56)
2000 GMC Z71

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaroman7d/
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 07:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

1968 and above intakes do not have a hole for the sending unit on the stock intake, the flat area is there on some but, it is not drilled and tapped for the sensor.
If the heads are stock post 68 type they should have a flat area between the first and second exhaust ports (viewed from the exhaust port side) that is drilled and tapped for 3/4" NPT. Most aftermarket heads employee this same set-up.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks

That hole in the front that is for oil, can i put the oil pressure sender there? Or must i put the sender where the old oil dash lamp sender is?

Vintage 68
Yes you right, i dont have any hole in the intake. But i think i saw a hole with a sender in it in the rear of the intake(under cowlpanel). What is that sender used for?

Thanks again
Magnus
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 03:54 AM
Senior Tech

The only problem I can see using the small hole out front for the oil line is that when you curl the piping around you have to leave a large loop so it does not kink.
Looks ugly, and also may get caught up in the belts etc. The best place is the rear oil port under the distributer, if you put a Tee connection in then you can run the light still, I like the light and gauge combination because the light is very visable when there is a problem.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech

Where can you get one of these T fittings for the oil pressure ?

Thanks, Ron.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

But my gauges are electrical. the oilpressure sender is a sender with one wire that goes to the gauge and then i put one wire to ignition and one to ground, so theres no tubing at all.

Is the oil pressure the same in the whole engine(block and cylinders) ?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 10:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Ron, You should be able to find them at a good auto parts store or a hardware store. You will need the "T" (1/8" NPT) and a Close Nipple (1/8" NPT X 1") to screw the T into the block. You can then put one sensor (or Oil line) in each end.
Magnus, I would agree with Rob that you keep the light if possible as it will get your attention much faster than a gauge will if there is a problem. We still run a light on the race cars along with an engine shut off, it alwways gets the drivers attention fast.
You should try to mount your new sending in the rear with the "T" method suggested if possible to keep it out of harms way and make the installation look nicer.
Yes, the oil pressure in the readings for the engine should be about the same no matter which tap you use.
As a PS: You could use BPT fittings available in Europe if you need to. They are just about the same thread size but they do not have the "taper" that NPT fittings do. I have used them on several occations when I couldn't find NPT fittings over there. They will not screw in as far so be aware of this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 02, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi

Yes i also want to keep that red oil temp lamp on the dash, the oil pressure gauge will be fun to look at the first week, the reason i bought it in the first place was to make it look more symmetric with the watertemp gauge =)

That thing with the T-connections sounds good, but in the moment i dont care about the looks under the hood. Im going to change engine next winter and i just want to install everything in the interior first and see how things work.
So i guess that i can use that hole in the front for the red oil lamp and the hole in the rear of the engine for the pressure gauge(the sensor is quite large)

Thanks for the inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode