help, oil pump shaft came out with primer.. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

i was priming my motor this morning and the oil pump shaft came out with the primer.
I got oil back on the driver side heads but nothing back on the passenger side.

any suggestions.
R

Rick
68 project...reassembly starting: (383, AFR 195, Air Gap, Comp Cam XR276HR, 1.6 CC Gold rollers, Holley 750, 4/09) (TKO 600 conversion from T350 4/09) (floor pan restored 6/09). (12 bolt 3.73, Wilwood disc, Hotchkis TVS 7/09), Dougs 368 with Big Dog mufflers (9/09), 383 fired up 9/30/09, Candy Apple Red 2012 with white RallyBee stripe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
very long set of needle nose pliers or a telescopic magnet and a thin rod. Drop it down in the hole with the magnet and positon it with the rod. press it down into place with the rod and extract the magnet. or as another thought get a couple large MD's straws and connect the two. push one end over the one side of the slot of the connector rod. Gently ease it down into place, then push it down with a long screwdriver and remove the straw. some options to try rather than pulling the motor to remount it.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 03:34 PM
Bill

duke,
I hate to tell you this but ... if the oil pump drive shaft came out with the primer, you are going to have to pull the pan and fix the problem. There is supposed to be a small plastic sleeve that keeps the shaft attached to the pump, but it also keeps it aligned properly. If the sleeve is not there, you will have problems as the shaft will "walk" around on the pump drive.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech

Billk is right. If you have the high volume pump with the metal collar it is going to jump up to the magnet and then you have one more thing to line up.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I was able to place it on the end of my primer and get in place....but a sleeve may be loose?
When I got the car home I was going to pull the front end off. now I may as well pull the motor/trany.

Rick
68 project...reassembly starting: (383, AFR 195, Air Gap, Comp Cam XR276HR, 1.6 CC Gold rollers, Holley 750, 4/09) (TKO 600 conversion from T350 4/09) (floor pan restored 6/09). (12 bolt 3.73, Wilwood disc, Hotchkis TVS 7/09), Dougs 368 with Big Dog mufflers (9/09), 383 fired up 9/30/09, Candy Apple Red 2012 with white RallyBee stripe
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 04, 05:45 AM

I couldn't drop the oil pump rod in from the top when I forgot to put it in my nephew's motor??

It was h-d and had an attached metal sleeve tho..

Sheepishly, I pulled the pan and went about my business... He, He!!

pdq67

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 04, 05:35 PM
Bill

The shafts with the metal sleeves will not drop in from above, nor will they come out with the distributor.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 04, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

If you have the shaft with the metal collar and it came out through the top you have bigger issues than just the shaft. If you have the stock type with the nylon collar, it is not uncommon for the collars to fail over time. I would personally pull the pan and pump, install a new oil pump drive shaft with a metal collar (while you have the pan off fish out the pieces of the old collar).

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
There will be no oil to the passwnger side if there is not a filler plug to substitute for a dist body.

The distributor body supplies the side/plug of the oil galley so it may supply oil to the lifters and rocker arms. If the filler plug or substitute is not in place to plug the oil galley, oil will run out the hole back into the crankcase.

An old distributor with the gear removed makes an excellent primer. Tavia makes a good primer sold by Summit Racing.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech

Boy is my face RED, I forgot that the metal collars have the pin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode