seriously stuck pistons......... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Virgil

Friend just brought a 68 396 short block to me, to see if I can help him remove the pistons. Problem is, it has sat outside for years with no heads, or oilpan. He did manage to remove the crank without damaging it (I don't see how, but he did!)
What is the best way to get the pistons out? He has been soaking them for days with ATF, Pen. oil, etc. He is not worried about the rods, as he said 2 caps were missing, so he will get a complete new set.
Should I just try to drive them out by wacking on the rods? Heat? Any input is appreciated.
He would just replace it, but it is numbers matching to the car he just got, so he wants to try and save it.
Or should I just get a new friend!!! JK
Thanks,
Virgil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech

I'd remove as much rust and scale as you can with sandpaper or steel wool and penetrating oil. Then rinse out the cylinders good with spray cleaner (gunk works good) to remove any grit. Then put a wooden hammer handle or 2 X 2 against the back side of the piston and whack it. Chances are that rust has already pitted the cylinders to the point that it will take 0.040" to 0.060" to clean them up anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about being gentle.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

I have found in the past that you can drive the piston down in the bore easier than up. If you can get it to go down you can sand or hone the cylinder to get them out.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech

My current 388 was exactly this way when I got the engine from the salvage yard...and it had heads on it. It was a standard bore but just BARELY cleaned up at .060 over. I had to literally beat the pistons out of it with a piece of steel pipe and a small sledge hammer. I shattered 3 of the pistons getting them out...they was that bad.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 05:29 PM

Question

I wonder what would happen if you greased the bores up real good with a stiff old-fashioned stringy wheel bearing grease and then filled the bores up with muratic acid and let it eat on the aluminum piston tops??

Won't a Hot tank that has Cresol in it eat aluminum cam bearings out?? Maybe it would do the same thing to your pistons??

Or PB-Blaster penetrating oil??

pdq67

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 04, 04:35 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Lye eats aluminum and doesn't eat iron (much). All you need is a big tank to dip the engine in and lots of lye. You can buy lye at most farm supply stores. Say goodby to the pistons.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 04, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Personally I would break the pistons and take them out in pieces. Much like Travis did, if they come out whole then that's great if not they will break. If they are cast it will be easy to break them.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 04, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Virgil

Thanks for all the help. Have managed to get 4 out so far. (Ran out of time, as I had to work late today)
1/2 way there. Maybe I can do it without messing up the block.

Thanks, again,

Virgil
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 04, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Virgil

Have all the pistons out. Block is std bore, so it should clean up nicely.
Will send it to the machine shop to have it tanked and bolt holes checked before any other work is done.

Thanks again for all the help.

Virgil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode